Course design...how we do it

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Course design...how we do it

Post by bryce »

Since we happen to have several courses out in the last few weeks, I was just wondering if anyone wants to give some designing advice on a specific topic, or just show off something you are good at. Kind of what we did back in the old Copyright Club days. Adam, Sir Torben, Steve, DC, Links, I'd like to see what you guys wanted to show everybody.

I'll do something in this thread in a day or two......still trying to figure out this registry issue with my second version of Dogwood Trail.

Doron
A Brandt
Club Champion

Re: Course design...how we do it

Post by A Brandt »

I'll contribute to this, as soon as I figure out what I'm good at! :) Actually, I'm working on a new way to do bunkers, or at least it's new to me. I'll post something soon...
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

A Brandt wrote:I'll contribute to this, as soon as I figure out what I'm good at! :) Actually, I'm working on a new way to do bunkers, or at least it's new to me. I'll post something soon...
Awesome! Maybe we could all put up how we do our own bunkers. I just started doing them differently in Dogwood.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! Interesting post. I love your bunker work on Dogwood Trail. I also did things different on my bunkers on my just released Champions Course at Cumberland. I think they turned out much much better then some of my past releases. I'll try to think of something to contribute.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I posted this to DC#1 and thought it would be perfect to put here. Sounds and frequincy of them. Here's how I do it. First I generally don't like alot of real noisy things unless it adds to the realism of a certain area of the course. Example, I generally choose bird sounds that aren't as loud as some. The exception in this instance would be seagulls around holes with a large body of water. In your libraries right click on any sound box to listen to it. To move a sound to your course hold down your left clicker and drag it to the area in your course you want. You can move it the same way once its on the course or listen to it again if needed. You may want to do your sounds before planting to avoid a conflict of trying to listen to a sound but clicking an object instead.
Once moved to where you want the sound right click and bring up the properties window. The default slider position is in the middle far left I believe is less frequent and far right more often. I generally don't mess with the other features except some I increase the radius such as waves, planes or mowers and some times some others. Waves I usually move the slider to the left some so they are a little less frequent. Planes I move the slider even further left so you don't hear the plane in that area but once (hopefully). Insects or maybe a breezy sound or stream sound I move the slider all the way right and click the loop box on the left. This gives a more constant sound in that area. Thats about it except always when done with your sounds and always before closing your architect under the view column at the top click on it so the sounds are hidden on the map. This can avoid an issue that makes your sounds move out of place and avoid a redo. You can have more then one sound in the same area but avoid to many. One last thing listen to your sounds when play testing your course and adjust if needed.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I did a couple of mini-tutorials several years ago which are probably still around somewhere in this area. Haven't touched the designer in a couple of years so my knowledge has become pretty rusty.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Ok, I'll start with how I do a bunker. First of all, I just used the Ireland plot, which is available for download in the utilities section. I then chose the Glen Haven textures to go with it.

Step 1:
Choose a spot that looks like a logical place for a bunker and draw a shape.

Step 2:
Then choose a sand texture you want to use, and drop it. Then right click on it and 'use as shape', and add 2 inches. Choose a bunker lip texture, then drop it as well.

Step 3
Pick some spots that you would like to have slight sloping around the edges and draw some shapes. Raise each shape somewhere between a few inches to 2 feet.
bunkers1.jpg
(426.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Step 4
Right click on the bunker again, and reduce it by 2 feet or so. Then draw a shape around the outside of the bunker. Select both shapes and use the bunker tool, and lower it somewhere between a few inches and 3 feet. I did 1.5 feet in the example.

Step 5
Delete the inner shape you just used, and draw another shape outside of the larger shape you just used. Select both shapes, and this time use the hill tool and raise anywhere up to a foot. I raised the shapes .8 feet in the example.

Step 6
Delete both shapes you just used. Locate the lowest area of the trap, and draw a small shape in that area. Use your tape measure tool to get an idea of how deep you want the bunker to be, and use any method to lower the small shape you just drew the amount you depth you want the bunker to be. I used 2.45 feet.
bunkers4.jpg
(475.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Step 7
Right click on your bunker and select 'use as shape'. Then use the flattening tool to flatten at minimum height.

Step 8
Delete the shape, and draw a larger shape well outside the bunker. Select the smoothing tool, move it to the second notch and continue to hit the smooth button until it looks the way you want it to.

Step 9
Zoom in really close to your bunker, and right click on the bunker and 'use as shape'. Do the same with the bunker lip texture. Make sure both shapes are highlighted and select the slope tool. Lower the shapes by anywhere from .1 to.4 feet, depending on how thick you want the lip to be. Then delete those shapes. Right click on your bunker lip texture and 'optimize detail' to the max. When finished, right click and 'optimize detail' on your sand texture at the lowest notch.
bunkers7.jpg
(519.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
That's how I do it most of the time.

Doron
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I've never done a tutorial of any sort so I hope this goes well. My bunker method is pretty similar to Doron's, and probably everyone's I suppose. Here's an example of a greenside bunker:

1. After dropping my fringe shape I draw in my bunker(s). I use the distance of the approach and angle into the green to figure out how deep I want it and the size and shape. Longer irons will warrant a simpler, shallow bunker, usually to the sides or back of the green. Short irons will typically have to carry a bunker that's small or complex in shape and fairly deep.

2. I then drop the sand texture followed by a large default texture to encompass the entire greensite. I will work all my greensite elevations within this texture.

3. After working most of my green elevations I now start on the bunker(s). I first start by drawing simple shapes around the perimeter to create some mounding. Then I'll raise these with the hill tool 2-5ft. I'll then draw a large shape around the bunker and smooth 4-5 times on the third setting.

4. Next, I right-click -> use as a shape on the bunker and inflate 2-3 feet, depending on the size of the bunker. Then flatten to minimum height.

5. I delete the shape I just flattened and draw a large shape around the bunker. I'll then smooth once on the 4th setting and delete the shape.

6. Now I'll use the bunker as a shape again and deflate it 3ft. I'll then draw a shape around the bunker, following the form of the bunker and about 10-20 feet larger. In the past I would just inflate the bunker shape, but I find this new way to look more natural and not so "perfect".

7. I'll then use the hill tool to drop the two shapes 1.5-3ft and delete the shapes.

8. Now I zoom in and draw a shape inside the bunker to reflect the lowest part. I don't pay much attention to how good this shape follows the shape of the bunker, as there is nothing perfect in nature. Then I'll use the bunker as a shape, so I have two shapes selected.

9. I then drop the two shapes with the bunker tool about 1ft. Then I delete the shapes.

10. Next, I draw a large shape around the bunker and smooth 2-3 times on the third setting and then a bunch of times on the second setting. Then I delete the shape.

I may draw some shapes in at this point around any surrounding areas that need more smoothing, but I won't smooth the actual bunker anymore.

11. Next, I use the bunker as a shape and inflate it 3 inches, change it to my lip texture, and drop it. Then I'll select the bunker texture, duplicate it, and inflate it 3 inches. I then Ctrl-click the bunker shape to have both shapes selected.

12. I then drop the two shapes using the slope tool to between 0.12 and 0.175ft. I always stay in this range because I think it looks more realistic.

13. The last step is to optimize. I optimize the bunker texture on the third setting and the lip texture on the eighth setting. I also optimize my large default texture after each bunker on the second setting.

After my bunkers are complete I move on to finish the green contours. It takes me about 10 min to do each bunker. I hope you could follow along!!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! Glad to here from you. You've been (MIA) for awhile. Nice tutorial on bunkers guys. This should help me.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I'll do a quick and easy tee box tutorial. Take your tee box shape and expand it by at least 6 feet and flatten. Usually I flatten at maximum height but not always. Then make another shape that surrounds outside of the tee box (don't include the tee box) and smooth as needed (usually a low setting 1to 4). Delete that shape then once again use your tee box shape and expand by 2 inches. Drop that shape this will be your cut line edge. You can choose any texture thats a good fit but the best texture for the edge is usually whatever the outside of the tee box texture is.
Now make a small circle inside the tee box and raise it by the minimum amount (.50). Then keep that current shape circle and don't move it and lower that small circle by (.82). Delete the small circle shape. Now use your tee box shape plus that 2 inch edge and flatten at minimum height. Expand that shape 12 feet and smooth once on lowest setting. Then optimize your tee box once on lowest setting. This should leave you a beautiful tee box with a cut outline.