Extremely long courses

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Extremely long courses

Post by bryce »

Thanks Steve! Those trees are all temporary, just to give an idea of what the hole may look like. I'm going for the tight tee shot look, like you see the PGA guys facing. Dogwoods are the state tree here in NC, so I would like to have them throughout the course. However, I don't want it to look overpopulated with them.

Doron
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Coming along quite nicely now, when I have the time to do some work. Here is the SHORTEST par 3 of the course, at 181 yards.

From the tee
3tee.jpg
(624.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet
A look at the green and guarding trap
3green.jpg
(547.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Once again, the trees are just temporary, but I do need the feedback to figure out what matches.

Thanks,
Doron
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

This is the 5th hole, a par 4 of about 450 yards.

From the tee
5tee.jpg
(572.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Looking in from about 160 yards out
5fwy.jpg
(432.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
About 20 yards short and right of the green
5grn.jpg
(399.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Doron, I really like the look of the 5th hole with the exception of the tee view. Not crazy about the grass clump. Keep up the good work. Maybe see more of the fairway.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! I agree with everything DC1 said. I don't know if its temporary or a planned planting but the grass clump somehow just doesn't fit. Everything else looks good.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Thanks guys! I just put some trees and bushes down for now. I guess it would have been a better idea to look at what I put down first! The planting now is temporary, in fact I have already removed the plantings from the other holes I've finished.

Doron
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

So I have elevation work finished on the front 9 and decided I would like to see how it played. According to the course stats, the front 9 is 4,062 yards long. My player averages 288 yards off the tee with a 69.8 scoring average over the years. I only had problems with about 2 shots, simply because I drew gusty wind conditions. I will say that carrying a 1 iron (which I do) came in handy several times. This is what I did with a 4,000+ yard round on l/vd/g:
frnt9.jpg
(83.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I'll probably put some pics up later today
Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! Very long course, gusty winds, all pars sounds pretty good to me. How close were you to getting a birdie or were you scrambling alot and saving par on most holes?
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Steve, I had a couple of makeable birdie putts from under 20 feet, and missed them. I did scramble pretty good on a couple of holes, especially after hitting a fairway bunker on #9. Here is a look at #9:

From the tee, you will see why I hit the fairway trap!
9tee.jpg
(588.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If you can hit a drive of about 290 yards down the middle, this will be the view of your second shot from around 200. Keep in mind a big hit of 320 will challenge the last fairway bunker:
9 fwy.jpg
(490.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
A look at the green, with the undulations. There are 2 traps short and left that will only come into play if you have to run the ball up to the green, which is likely with a hole of it's length:
9grn.jpg
(402.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
All planting is just for looks as of now, but I will start planting on the front 9 as I finish elevation work on the back.
Doron
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! I think the look of the planting from #9 tee is very good. Even though its temporary you may not want to change it much if any.