Kruger National Golf Links

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Kruger National Golf Links

Post by LinksLegend »

Safari-time.

I've been wanting to create a new custom library for a while and, combined with the idea of building a course in South Africa, I'm hoping to bring a feeling of the Kruger National Park to PGA - complete with Giraffes, elephants, safari jeeps and all... :)

Below is a work in progress testing out the library:

bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Kruger National Golf Links

Post by bryce »

Looking good Duncan! Are there skulls on the tee markers?
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Bryce! That is one of the best screenshots I have ever seen. A great hole I can't wait to play. One question. Is that the ocean backdrop or just texture?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
J.J.
Chronic Slicer

Post by J.J. »

I've just seriously dusted off the Architect for the first time in years. After seeing that screenshot I reckon it's going back in its box, I'm that far behind such wonderful looking creations :bg:
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Alex - I think you are getting Doron and Duncan mixed up lol :) The good news is we both just released redux versions of original stock courses - Jocassee and Abernathy ;) The tee markers are based on a traditional African ceremonial mask - the star surround lent itself to colouring for the different tees. The background is the pano and its based on images of the vast plains of the Serengeti - so although the course is supposed to be based in the Kruger National park I've used a it of artistic license here... ;)

JJ - very kind of you to say mate, but keep on dusting my friend, Mayfield Manor is still one of my fave's and can't wait to see what you come up with next.

As to the library - it is based on the Yavapai textures. I liked the hue of the greens/browns in the original textures, but they were quite pixelated so I increased the detail on all of them so they looked better close up - esp on tees/greens etc.

The custom objects has been the fun part :) I've included all the usuals you would expect - the big 5, safari lodges, jeeps, wandering impala, and the odd croc and hippo in the water - it's been fun!

I don't want the end product to be too overt and stuffed with wildlife, so will place the majority in subtle areas away from the holes, but there are some animals who can and do encroach on play on a lot of the South African courses so they'll certainly be in there
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Course looks great.
Can hardly wait.
Giraffes and jeeps and elephants?
Hope I don't poop in my pants.
Links Legend, you da man!
Creating a course that's African.

....... Washroom Wordsworth :bg:
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

ok so rebuilt the hole on the actual course routing post-library test - it's the 11th:

ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

LinksLegend, looks good. Both do. How long is the hole?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

The first test hole is now gone as that was just to test the library. The latest version (11th and effectively a copy of first) will actually feature on the course, and is short at approx 155yds from the tips.

Cheers,
LL
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

It's a nice looking Eden-hole, like the 11th at St. Andrews. I appreciated the strategy of the first version, but I thought it was supposed to be very long. Maybe that's just me.