Textures response/control

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Textures response/control

Post by stillgolfing »

I'm really enjoying playing my way through the "A" rated courses, but one thing I noticed was out of the 150 or so that I have played so far, about 10 % seem to have greens designed as "fast" when I have "normal" selected. Today I downloaded and installed PGA National (to play along with the pros at the Honda) and the greens played about "moist", when my default "normal" was selected. I'm not a designer, but I'm guessing there is a feature in the Golf Course design program that lets the designer choose how he want's his greens to play. Is that a correct assumption?
Thanks, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Re: Textures response/control

Post by sandwedge »

Yes, you can adjust the coefficients for how the ball reacts to each texture that you create. Additionally, you may assign the factory set coefficients for common conditions (rough, sand etc.) to textures that you create. The library creator gives you the abillity to manipulate the ball's reactionary behavior to each custom texture that you create for your course. Once set they cannot be altered by others unless they are reverse engineered. Hope this helps.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

I got a question related to something like this. Is there a way to figure out what the coefficients are for a library that already exists?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Alex, the only way to view the coefficient properties is to actually have the library creator file for it. I think BrianZ saves his, because he was able to tell me the properties for one of his libraries that he was kind enough to let me borrow.
Doron
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

sandwedge wrote:Yes, you can adjust the coefficients for how the ball reacts to each texture that you create. Additionally, you may assign the factory set coefficients for common conditions (rough, sand etc.) to textures that you create. The library creator gives you the abillity to manipulate the ball's reactionary behavior to each custom texture that you create for your course. Once set they cannot be altered by others unless they are reverse engineered. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info sandwedge.
This gets me wondering, when a designer plays someone elses course does he tweek the "in game" settings to make it play to his own personal liking? As a player only, that's what I have been doing to get through some really tough courses. Basically I find most courses with the fast geen settings unplayable, so I dial them back to "moist" which then makes them play as "normal" on the swing meter.
One thing I noticed with the PGA National course is my 3 ani-buddies couldn't handle the slow greens. Some time ago I set them up to play about the same as me (around par at the Standard level) and it has been working out O.K. Very competative. However, after 9 holes at PGA National I am two over, but they are 7, 9, and 11 over respectively. Is this just another idiosincracy related to the way certain Custom Courses play in the game (like repeatedly having my player facing sideways or backwards on a shot for no particular reason)?
Cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing