Snowdonia as she goes ....

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Snowdonia as she goes ....

Post by Pyecraft »

just trying to contribute .... stripped the excess back down to plot, pano and textures ... trying to keep things simple before planting, then got to fooling around with some trees I'd made a while back, tryin' e'm in for looks:
from the 4th tee
4th.jpg
(271.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
and looking back down the fairway from behind the same green
4th back.jpg
(207.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
May the only balls you slice be your own
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Re: Snowdonia as she goes ....

Post by sandwedge »

Wow, I think the pano works well with the textures - kinda like the look of it.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Hey Pye, how did the waterfall turn out? I remember seeing a pic of it quite awhile back.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

Worked good, but dominated too much from certain points when playing .... just as Jimmy warned aways back, building a depth perspective into a pano is tricky business. Even layering with variant fogs couldn't get it to seam perfectly with the course horizon and appear faultless from all angles. But I found that cutting and pasting bits from the pano to create matching course objects - rocks, grasses etc, was a successful project. Tho the continual trial-and-error adjusting of the slight colour differences between working the pano, arch and compiled course eventually proved too frustrating, time-consuming. Big difference between playing with photoshop tools and understand why they do what they do :)
So amazed that you recall it, ty .... here she be then ...
waterfall.jpg
(130.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Pyecraft! Looks like you've got a great course going. Keep up the good work. Anymore pics? Why is it called Snowdonia?
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Oh Pye, these foreigners eh?
You tell them, if I recall corectly, you are from that side of Offa's Dyke?
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

lol guys ...yes Pols, always been aiming for that 'perfect' design, emblematic to my native locality of North Wales. But simply put, I could only find top quality photographs of the Snowdonia area for the panos at the time, and given that the pasted-in pano objects are all icons from that region, I guessed that'd be as close as my skill level will ever get me to design a real course :) I made all the grasses to blend into the rough textures so I may get some much needed help there, during planting.
The name will have to change however, for saving so many design stages under the working title of Glyndwr, has it stuck in the arch's simple brain. Each compilation now loads as Glyndwr, no matter how many times I change the present save. She continues to fight back :)
Here's the lie from an errant drive to the left rough from the first tee:
1st approach.jpg
(418.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Pyecraft, if I'm not confusing what you've just said, it really doesn't matter what you save the arc file as, what only matters is what you make your final course name save is on the file->course info(?) For example you could have:
Glyndwr.arc
save as Glyndwr.crs
and Snowdonia as the course name.

Lol, I think a lot of us USA Yankees would think of it as "snowed on ya" and be looking for a Matterhorn-type course though. :bg:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Indy! Yeah the only reason I asked was because I thought that was the real course name. I save course arch files with numbers after the name and delete them after awhile so I don't have to many.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

How is the Snowdonia project going these days?