Year-Designer-Courses Recap

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Year-Designer-Courses Recap

Post by tincup »

We are just completing our 14th year of course design for PGA2000. By my count, we have 1,636 courses to choose from.
In 2012, we have an all time low in new course production. In total, 2012 shows 7 new courses by 6 different designers, 2 of which are reworks from earlier releases. I hope this doesn't spell the beginning of the end of the grand old game.

Below, I show the history of course development by year.

Active
Year …. Designers …. # Courses
1 1999 …. 43 …. 82
2 2000 …. 103 …. 214
3 2001 …. 134 …. 318
4 2002 …. 122 …. 287
5 2003 …. 85 …. 188
6 2004 …. 57 …. 159
7 2005 …. 61 …. 140
8 2006 …. 40 …. 76
9 2007 …. 23 …. 42
10 2008 …. 22 …. 47
11 2009 …. 15 …. 26
12 2010 …. 13 …. 24
13 2011 …. 16 …. 26
14 2012 …. 6 …. 7
Totals …. …. 1636

Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Year-Designer-Courses Recap

Post by SteveHorn »

I have a feeling that we may reach double didgit numbers for design next year. Its unfortunate that it takes so much time and a big commitment to create a quality course.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

My daughters and I designed a few courses - BUT I doubt they would be up to specs for public consumption at this time :laugh: . I have to say from my end there was really not a low quality course released last year - have them all still on the hard drive. I think we should have a course of the year award - maybe for a set of Pro V1 golfballs - on me - yeah I am willing for at least one or two years if folks think it could spark interest - least I could do since I am not putting any courses on the site. I think Pine Haven East and Crescent Hills were my favorite new courses for this past year. I don't know if I could vote one above the other though. We may have fewer courses but they are certainly of greater quality. I need to review Stefan's course but certainly his course redo was quite nice as well.
Tebasco
Weekend Duffer

Post by Tebasco »

SteveHorn wrote:I have a feeling that we may reach double didgit numbers for design next year. Its unfortunate that it takes so much time and a big commitment to create a quality course.
I will try ... ;)

Hi everyone.
My name is Stefan and I am from Germany.
Sorry, my English is very limited. With the help of Google Translator you can understand me hopefully.

I currently have a completed fictional Golf Course on the PC. Can anyone explain how I can publish this Course?
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Tebasco! First go to the top of this page and click on where it say's upload. Follow the instuctions and download the FTP uploader program. Then open your course manager and highlight your course and click the compress button. A window will pop up showig course name, music, text and all the libraries used to create your course. Don't compress any libraries to your course unless it is one you created for that course. Next click the OK button to your right. Next find your compressed file either in my documents or the Sierra PGA2000 folder. Then right click on your compressed course file and zip the file. Then open your FTP file you downloaded from this sight. Next drag your zipped file to the FTP uploader and it should upload. If you have a problem with the uploader Brian Z. may have to help you. Next send a private message to Tincup (Dar) giving him details and letting him know you uploaded your course. Any questions just ask.
Tebasco
Weekend Duffer

Post by Tebasco »

Hey Steve!

Thanks for the quick reply.
The file named "G&CC Schlaubetal" has already been sent.
If it works correctly - we'll see.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

We got it, how do you want your name posted on the site? We have few designers named Stefan so just putting Stefan won't work. If you don't want to provide a last name we could call you Stefan (Tebasco).
Tebasco
Weekend Duffer

Post by Tebasco »

Maybe Tebasco would be the best choice.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

OK, I will get it up on the site either Friday Night or Saturday morning.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

..... I hope this doesn't spell the beginning of the end of the grand old game.

I surely hope that isn't the case Tin! Perhaps those of us still designing could make a better effort over the coming weeks. I for one could stop over-tinkering a design until its non-playable, and upload something less elaborate by February. And there are probably a good half dozen or so courses I read about here in the works, so maybe our demise is somewhat premature? Let's pray that's all it is.
Something we don't see too much these days are threads with pics of new designs in progress. I always found those an inspiration which led to long bursts of my own on the arch - but usually followed by long spells of disappointment of course, ;) Mebbe we're all in one of those 'quiet' periods and its just coincidence.
I'll start another Snowdonia thread (oh no, I hear :eek: ) but I'm not sure how to upload pics on this latest forum, any tips please?
May the only balls you slice be your own