Abernathy V2

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Abernathy V2

Post by SteveHorn »

Duncan!
Pics look awesome. Nothing else to add as far as a suggestion. Looks like you've done a great all around job. Any idea when it will be completed and released.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Cheers DC and Steve!

I've got to plant the last 3 lakes, behind the 18th, and build the driving range. Given I'm away with work next week and at the end of the month, I'm hoping I may be able to get it finished in between so either towards the end of Jan or mid-Feb.

Layup approach to the (wind-permitting) drivable 2nd: http://s7.postimage.org/s72zee32z/Abern ... proach.jpg
Putting green: http://s8.postimage.org/m44c7swth/Abernathy_PG.jpg
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Wow..Proper scale, realistic views... One word Gorgeous...

Cant wait to play it.... Looks great from the pics.....
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

A bit like buses... you wait ages for one to come along and then 3 come along at once :) Looks like it's going to be that way with Abernathy Estate, Jocassee and Castle Stuart!

Abernathy now uploaded:

Comparison shot of the par 5 4th:

seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Post by seopfer »

It's been more than a few years...but just in case someone checks this thread....I love the re-do of Abernathy Park! THIS re-do was EXACTLY the WHOLE point of us including the architecture files in the CD. Headgate asked if we (the course design consultants) would do that and Jim, Ken and I stepped up because we thought it might spur the use of the architect (make it seem less daunting) and, in the end, help all of us to play more user-made courses. There is NO intellectual property right violation or anything coming close to that. That's why Headgate asked us so hesitantly. We agreed, though, because--quite frankly--it was work-for-hire and, by law, the property of Headgate anyway. It was nice of them to ask, though; they didn't have to, but they did. So those architect files are essentially the property of whoever bought the game and we did it to inspire people to do just what was done here...take it to the next level; look at it, get inspired, and get designing and publishing courses. Thank God that someone actually thought my puny little slap-together alpha-test course was worth using! Hallelujah! Job well done...if I do say so myself! :)

Here's a little trivia note. The very first hole of Abernathy Park (which you can still see in the before/after pics at the beginning of this thread) was created on the computer of Farrell Edwards by me. He's the programmer of the architect. He's not listed as such because, at that time, he worked under the supervisor who got credit for it. He later got credit for being the programmer of the TW series architect. I was there with Ken McHale, Jeff Jones, Jim Dickson (who passed away a few years after---very sadly), and myself. During the consultancy, we broke out into teams and I got Farrell. I sat at his computer and sculpted out a hole in about two minutes. He pointed out that the fairway was way too wide for the scale of measurement that they were using, so I said "screw it", drop a bunker in. I said the bunker couldn't be in the middle 'cause why would anyone then choose to go right of it. He saw the wisdom in that, so we put it left of center and essentially divided the too-wide fairway into two options: right and safe, but far from the green or left and dangerous, but closer to the green. Farrell never played golf, but the lead designer, Vance Cook, made the entire staff go out golfing on a regular basis so that they could all learn what it was about. Of course, he paid for all of those rounds and they were all on-the-clock, too! :) From that experience, Farrell knew what I was trying to accomplish by placing the bunker, so we agreed that it was a "good" first hole...of the course I'd agreed to create for them. Keep in mind, we didn't see any trees or other objects; I placed those later. The software at that time only had textures and the gaming engine. We play tested it with a little "skeleton man" playing golf on it with no trees or sky. THAT is alpha testing; in fact, Farrell said it was "pre-alpha" and we were getting a first-hand look at it.

Those were some fun times! Thanks for resurrecting Abernathy and doing what was MEANT to be done with it!

In fact, where are the Mecklenburg and Jacosse renditions? That's exactly why we included those files; take off with them and get them to the next level of design. These were all alpha-test courses; they are not what any of us would've called "finished" designs. They were simply a starting point for potential designers and served as completed courses for beta testing.
Course Design Consultant for PGA Championship Golf 2000 by Sierra Sports and Headgate Studios
http://www.steveopfer.com
http://sola.nsu.edu/seopfer
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Steve! That's some interesting info on your time with Headgate. How did you get hired to be a course architect for them? Were you previously working for a developer or publisher of games?
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

Agreed, it is amazing to read the wonderful insight into the beginnings of pga, and how it began as an obsession and remained so for many of us for so long. Thank you for sharing Steve, it's perhaps even more amazing to see one of the 'originals' return to these forums after so many years! In this age of massive data storage and powerful pc's, pga remains a stand-out testament to the programmers, developers and designers involved in its creation.
Following on to pga's early premise of putting the design tools into ordinary folk's hands, this has long be a fascination as to how fortunate we've been to be gifted the unique opportunity to go exploring down such infinite avenues as your brilliant architect leads us.
Here's one hole where I've wandered to:
2nd approach.jpg
(390.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2nd green east.jpg
(380.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2nd green north.jpg
(367.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Pyecraft on July 1st, 2015, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the only balls you slice be your own
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

... and because of the 3 file limit here's the remaining 2, lol. Lots of little tweaking to be done yet, but just wanted to show some of the 'golf art' possible, even from a non-designer and hope this is somewhere close to representing your original concept of sharing the wealth, so to speak.
2nd green south.jpg
(363.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2nd green west.jpg
(398.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
May the only balls you slice be your own
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Steve, that's awesome that you were one of the original designs....I didn't realize that. Also dogs not know that Jim Dickson had passed. Sorry to hear that. He was one of my favorites from the beginning. Duncan and I did our newer versions of Abernathy and Jocassee at the same time, but I feel I may have under achieved the Dickson original. There wad one other course on the architect that hasn't been redone yet. Maybe someone will take it on.
seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Post by seopfer »

bryce wrote:Steve, that's awesome that you were one of the original designs....I didn't realize that. Also dogs not know that Jim Dickson had passed. Sorry to hear that. He was one of my favorites from the beginning. Duncan and I did our newer versions of Abernathy and Jocassee at the same time, but I feel I may have under achieved the Dickson original. There wad one other course on the architect that hasn't been redone yet. Maybe someone will take it on.
Now that I think about it...I may be wrong on the name. I think it was Jim, but I could be mistaken. Maybe the last name was Crittenden... Jeff Jones or Ken McHale might remember better.
Last edited by seopfer on July 1st, 2015, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Course Design Consultant for PGA Championship Golf 2000 by Sierra Sports and Headgate Studios
http://www.steveopfer.com
http://sola.nsu.edu/seopfer