Abernathy V2

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Abernathy V2

Post by LinksLegend »

A while ago I thought it might be interesting to take a strategically sound but early release and give it a modern make-over. The course I started work on is Abernathy Park by the legendary Steve Opfer. I'm now 15 holes through and it's been fun to try and keep true to the original strategy whilst iterating a very different course.

Everything is the same and nothing is the same.

4th
http://s7.postimage.org/cmwvsmtsb/Abernathy4th.jpg

3rd
http://s8.postimage.org/bh0nbyqh1/Abernathy.jpg

All the original shot values and hole strategy remain. I've added and taken away a bunker or two (and there were a lot of mid fairway bunkers and trees in the original) but this is effectively the same layout and length as the original, but totally different.

Anyway I've really enjoyed doctoring the original and hopefully it will be a welcome addition without feeling like a duplication.

Cheers
LL
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Abernathy V2

Post by bryce »

Very nice Duncan! It's like a Donald Ross redesign of a Pete Dye course. Looks good.

I've actually considered redoing Jocasee, since I like the course. It could be better with a redo too.

Doron
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Very intersting.
I wish I had thought t of something like that.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

Could not agree more! Your subtle changes for the better there Links are described perfectly by bryce. The hugely increased capability in today's pc's and sheer depth of acquired technique, quality and choice of textures and libraries could turn re-designing the original stock courses into a very interesting competition, and prove a lasting legacy to the programming brilliance 15 years back at Headgate.
One can only dream how good Birkdale might play after your magic Pols.
May the only balls you slice be your own
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Bryce - do it! It's been a really fun exercise and back to Pye's point hopefully brings new life to the excellent courses produced back when the game was released...

The only limit is the number of finished arch files available as most courses would only exist in compiled state these days.

Will post a few more comparison shots...

Cheers
LL

**Just noticed the stock course plots link on the utilities page - if Birkdale is on there you should be all over it Pols!!** :cheers:
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Now there's a thought.
Birkdale would be a lot more attractive if I had the plot and didn't have to start from scratch.
Is this possible?
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

ah - looks like its just Abernathy / Mecklenburg and Jocassee. Shame - would be great to access more...
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Shots for comparison:

6th hole:
http://s9.postimage.org/9d4jioflr/Abernathy6th.jpg

11th hole:
http://s12.postimage.org/67qtv5jod/Abernathy11th.jpg

Again - very little changed if you were looking at the hole overhead, green shape/size and hole length the same, but hopefully more dynamic elevations etc.

Obviously planting / objects not started fully yet, but you get the feel of it...

Cheers,
LL
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Ok. I'm all excited now! I'm going to redo Jocassee Shoals! I'll get started on Wednesday when I'm off of work next, and post some pics as well.

Looking very nice Duncan. I can't wait to try the 'new' Abernathy.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Just really getting started by deleting the massive amounts of foilage on Jocassee. This is all I have to show now, but I am planning on tweaking it some more. This is the first tee
jocasse1.jpg
(515.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet