Tees

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Tees

Post by BrianZ111 »

Great looking hole Duncan! It looks like the right line provides good risk-reward while the left line is a good conservative play. Meanwhile the middle line is a trap for people who aren't thinking their way around the course. Seems like a good compromise between the two but then you have to carry the bunker to most of the pins on your 2nd shot. It also looks like you'll want to keep the pin position in mind when deciding how to play the tee shot too. The risk on the long drive probably isn't worth it for the left pin.

Just a side note, it took me about 10 clicks to figure out how to download that pdf, I almost gave up. You should be able to just attach pdf's here like you can images as long as they are under 1 MB in size (and this one is well under that). You just click the upload attachments tab below where you type the post.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Thanks Brian - hadn't even noticed that there! Hope it attaches successfully ;)

You're absolutely right about the pins dictating the play. Most of the pins are located front right (the Sunday pin) so that will be used more frequently. When the pin is front left, the tee shot is easier for the pro, but then the approach is still longer, so a reasonable trade off in difficulty. I like to try and make people think on the tee rather than just blast away. Most of the pins are located front left/right so if you place your drive well you should have a clear shot to the pin. Place it badly and that small bunker front centre start to some in to play on the angle.

Also the wind makes a lot of difference on the carry distance so which again effects how aggressive you can be with you tee shot, and hopefully gives it a nit more replay value.
Attachments
MRGC Multiple Tees.pdf
(223.65 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

LinksLegend wrote:If you design every hole with Tiger and Granny equally in mind, you will likely end up with a very playable and fair course enjoyed by all.
Tiger and Granny would be some kind of match :laugh: Seriously, I agree - it is what makes golf in real life and on the computer so much fun for my family - various skill levels on the same course. Take skiing as an example of another sport where this isn't likely to happen - I'm on the bunnyhills and the kids are on the black diamonds - nothing like meeting up at the chalet afterward :( I also think it is what makes Jack Nicklaus such a prolific designer - it's not his name; it's not even his vision; it's his sense of fairplay for all members that make his courses of great replay value :) You are not likely to get a wasted teebox on a Nicklaus designed course - it is not there for eye candy - it serves a purpose :) Good discussion going on here :)
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Okay another design-and-play based question.
When you play do you generally use Tournament mode? Do you like the galleries?

My answer: Yes, I was really impressed with the crowds on the new St. Andrews course. They add something special to season play tourneys. [A trick for new designers in case you didn't know this already. You can make a large gallery by using the foresting tool and selecting one male and one female object. Make a shape, select the object, set the density, then hit okay. Don't use the inches setting as this makes way too many objects.]