Castle Stewart

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: Castle Stewart

Post by bryce »

Bethpage always had good looking, 2 colored fairways.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

Vancouver Island. The hole-by-hole guide photographs don't show the fairways as two-tone, at least to me David. Perhaps the overhead shot is a little deceiving. But last I was involved here I thought you'd decided to work your own libs in the Creator? Or was that our Robert@? Leastways, its a fairly simple task to adjust the tone of your main fairway to make a second, the bigger problem after that will be to find the right rough blends to match both. I'm thinking that's a problem you won't need to waste valuable design time solving if the actual photographs prove a truer look of the fairways, and maybe that that second tone in reality simply turns out to be just a lighter rough.
If you are still looking and can point to a fairway photo to show what you want then I'd be happy to contribute, by tweaking one my old seamless texture libs just to see how close I can get, but remember here also that by creating them you can factor in how tough/easy they play. Despite being a perfect colour match, you can't know how an uploaded texture lib behaves until its played. In PGA, I think that textures designed to play too easily only serve to devalue the playing challenge of even the best links design, and from your past reports from seeing some of these great courses in the flesh, greens are undulating and super slick with a genuine punishment rightly awaiting those risking weedrough shortcuts.
But perhaps our guys here have already found the perfect library lurking in the uploaded files, either way keep us posted, mebbe it'll stimulate the rest of us to pick up the shovels again. :)
May the only balls you slice be your own
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

David! Glad to see that your finely going to takle Castle Stuart. Can't remember how many months ago it was that I said you should do it next. Good luck with this rendition which I'm confident is in good hands. Augusta also has 2 tone fairways.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

well Duncan has provided the library for me, I guess I have no excuse!
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

David,I don't know what you have for pics but I found hole overviews,and a full and fairway shot of each hole. Let me know if your interested.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

Where you at with this Pols my old friend? Would love to see a screenie or two :)
May the only balls you slice be your own
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Didn't think anyone was interested!
As for photo's, there is quite a lot on the course website, icluding helicopter flyovers, and there was a article and pictures from Golf Atlas, plus Google Earth, so we should have it covered.
Work wise, I have laid out the course, done, the major elevations and completed about 6 holes so far.
I never do any planting until the course is complete, so the holes look quite bare, and the colours look a little bright at the moment, have to see what they look like when I compile the course.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Work in progress
Attachments
3rd.jpg
(375.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
5th.jpg
(323.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet
6th.jpg
(279.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

That's basically where I'm up to.
Attachments
7th.jpg
(349.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Top.jpg
(174.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Very nice David! I love the cliff work, as well as the look of the bunkers. The fairway textures you decided on look well together with the other textures too. Which fairway textures did you go with?

Looking good!

Doron