Castle Stewart

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Castle Stewart

Post by Polslad »

Can it be done?
Have I the patience?
Am I exited?

Worth a try.
Maybe.
Yes
Attachments
Castle Stewart.jpg
(233.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: Castle Stewart

Post by Polslad »

Anyone fancy making me a pano for this, or tell me how you do it?

http://www.castlestuartgolf.com/index
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Yes it can.
Think ur track record of real course renditions speaks for itself...
Course you are ;)

Happy to help on the pano mate. Getting high res images may be tough, and patching it together so it matches up one you've got the holes laid out will also be tricky but happy to help nail it.

Cheers,
Duncan
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Hi Links,
Still at the gathering photo's stage.
Was thinking about which direction to lay the holes out. Obviously this has a bearing on the pano?

Dave
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Do it. I would love to see this course.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Beautiful looking links course! I hope you will do this one.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Whatever the hole # is that's heading toward the castle should be laid out facing the castle on your pano. With that as your guide, your directions are laid out for the other holes. It still might take a little T&E but, 'twer I, that would be my starting point.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Quite an ambitious undertaking, Pols.
But we know you can pull it off. :bg:
Stan
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

Hello David, great to see you're going to tackle this one, I'm always inspired and in awe of our designers who build the 'real' courses, it requires so much talent and discipline to pull off. I've been contemplating your pano deliberations, hoping I've something to offer you from my own experience past.
Creating a pano always seemed to me to be a daunting prospect, and frankly I found the existing tutorials of no use. Eventually I got the hang of it, and like all things in the architect, once under control it appeared uncomplicated, and very worthwhile if not essential to achieving the perfect compliment to a design. Eventually I settled upon creating one long pano to the size suggested by the help guide, and simply cut it in two before adding both to the 'lib creator'. I found this useful in that it left only one iffy seam needing disguise when laying out tee shots etc. Using the creator slider allows you to orientate the pano in any direction which could suit your hole layout, but for sun/shadow purposes I completed the pano first before designing the holes.
Working with photoshop, I found high-res photographs to create accurate terrain backgrounds then continued on to layer or paste objects relevant to the course into the pano. This proved so much more satisfactory than trying to force them 2Dstyle into the design where preventing a sudden odd view causes so many design headaches. For example, instead of settling for say an awkward or inappropriate shot of the Castle Stewart clubhouse, it would be far easier to cut and paste it into a generic links-type pano precisely where you want it to sit. This would be true also for any iconic identifying Castle Stewart object. It is more time consuming initially of course, but I found that preparation soon compensated by a much freer routing/plotting experience.
Can't see if this is much help to you Pols, or anyone else for that matter, but still its nice to be back on the boards again and saying hi to everyone!
May the only balls you slice be your own
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Hello Pye,
Good to hear from you again. Which part of the world have you washd up in now?

Can anyone suggest a suitable library with the two tone fairways evident in the photos?