Any tips?

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ADC
Tour Contender

Any tips?

Post by ADC »

Any tips on starting a course from scratch, going from complete flat to finished course? I've got some ideas, as I'm still fooling around with the architect when I can. Any tips?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Robert@
Shotmaker

Re: Any tips?

Post by Robert@ »

Really the only way to build a decent course is from scratch,that is not using the wizard to layout your course. I suggest for first attempt build one hole at a time,completly. Plantings,elevations, and all. It will give you a chance to get the look your seeking and by only building one hole at a time if it doesnt work out you havent wasted alot of effort.
Good luck!
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to post this here. Thought it was under design. But thanks, Robert@.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

I agree with Robert@ for the first time trying it. It also may be helpful to layout shot paths first, so you can get your #18 hole to end close to #1 and get an idea on where to put your clubhouse, driving range etc, if you choose to have them. I do this by setting my main texture to a tee texture then layout my holes to keep them close in proximity. Choosing a pano is one of the first things to do also.
This will help you if you feel the need to have a hole directed at a certain spot on the pano for a certain look you may want.

The biggest thing is to NEVER EVER EVER use the course wizard!!!

Good luck, and we are here for advice if you need it!

Doron
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I've moved this thread to the course design section.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Our very first course (on '99 back in 2001, we tried the wizard without really understanding how it, or really anything else worked. We got through 13 or so holes before it shattered, but we learned a lot.

IF you use the wizard, don't add water because it won't allow you to route over hazards. Select your textures, objects and pano first. AFTER you've laid out your course, delete every texture except your tee(s) and greens so that basically all you have left is your routing. Now you can begin building your universal course features (hills, etc.) I suggest laying your water first so you can keep it in the lower areas and not have to do as much work getting them to lie flat without a lot of smoothing. Once you get those features done optimize and do your smoothing.

Now you're ready to do your hole-by-hole building.

I won't say NEVER use the wizard but unfortunately you can't build your plot then use it; it has to be used as the very first thing. I'd say it'd be better to plot out your course on a piece of paper then after building up your plot, laying down your shot lines. You'll still have to put in tees and greens as the first items because you can't put down your shot line without those but after the line is down you can delete either texture and then later build each as you desire (same if using the wizard.)

Good luck; building a course IS a lot of fun, but also a lot of hard work and a major learning experience. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you're going along.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

A couple of other suggestions. First, you can dimension your plot to the size you desire. Second, lay down a main deep rough texture as close as possible to the total dimension of your plot. This you'll never pick up, but for some reason (to me) it seems easier to do universal features on a "second skin" than on the very base texture.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Thanks, guys. I am doing my best, been having trouble finding time and patience to work with the architect. But I'll get there. Thanks, again.