My latest work

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: My latest work

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron. ABSOLUTLY LOVE THE HOLE DESIGN. The waterfall could use some touch up. Not sure what to suggest except find a picture of a waterfall and try to duplicate. VERY DIFFICULT but you can do it. Rock formation around the fall looks good
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Doran, when I did my waterfall I used (IIRC) 3 different water patterns, the innermost being the type that reflects images and the outer 2 a dark foam then a light foam. Since yours is background and per the present appearance doesn't empty into a pond like mine did, it being flat shouldn't make a difference, but you might try raising the whole thing a foot or two or whatever it takes to give it a little depth of field. Just a suggestion!

Otherwise, lookin' good!! :up:

Edit: Sorry, bad memory. I used 4 foamy textures from white around the rocks then light to darker blue, not a reflecting type until the pond itself.
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on August 2nd, 2012, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Indy, I currently have about 4 patterns/textures in the waterfall. I used the Coos Bay Ocean and ocean surf blends to make the "falling water" look. It empties into a stream that is about the same width as the waterfall. What textures did you use for the foam look, and which of your courses had a waterfall? Thanks for the suggestions!

Doron
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Cougill's Keep, hole 7. I think it's Monterrey ocean but it could be Coos. The only thing I didn't like was not being able to carry the foamy water clear to the edge of the falls, but that made trying to get the lake water in place and looking correct too difficult.

I used various raising and lowering, from the inner (light) water being higher and lowering as it went out, then little ragged raises around the rocks (making holes to "bury" the rocks in) to get a wavy or "splash" effect around the rocks..
cougills keep waterfall hole 7.JPG
(28.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I just tried to make it a little dynamic. Robert Wagers did some water on his Trenche at Monticello that looks really nice; it's like a stream running downhill into a pond. I think it's the 8th hole near the green
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Not 100% finished with the hole yet, but it will pretty much look like this when I am:
crescent3.jpg
(481.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Nice hole. However since I only average around 265 off the tee with my driver I'd go right. Don't think I'd clear those bunkers on the fly. I'm sure Dar and his group and some others will go for it. Of course wind direction will be a BIG factor on this hole.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

This is a par 3 of about 125 yards that I have remade about 7 or 8 times so far, but I think I finally got the look I was shooting for:
cresdent17.jpg
(517.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Doron! Since its such a short par 3 if I were you I'd make the green have some pretty wicked breaks & slopes. When do you estimate you'll be releasing?
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Not sure Steve. I'm in the process of moving now and just had my work schedule changed, so no guess right now. I'm about 75% finished.

The green is pretty wicked though!
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

For a hole so short is bail out short left even necessary? You could easily replace with a retaining bunker to give it some more teeth - just a thought. One of the benefits of creating a really short par 3 is that it can enable you to deliver a high level of visual intimidation - think 10th Pine Valley, 15th Cypress Point, 7th at Pebble etc, 8th at Royal Troon etc.

Looking v.nice Bryce!