My latest work

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Re: My latest work

Post by bryce »

Just want some last second opinions....I've incorporated my girlfriends advice about what looks realistic, but I would like the opinions of some who actually play the game. Is there too much grass?

This is from a tee box
crescent11a.jpg
(521.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
crescent11b.jpg
(591.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Thanks

Doron
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Hard to tell from the pictures but I would say usually grass doesn't grow that well in a wooded area due to lack of sunlight. I know at The Ridges they had to cut some trees down around the 11th tee just because they couldn't keep the grass alive due to lack of sun light. Also I would say one thing to watch out for is not making it too tall. It's tough to judge size in the game and I know my tendency at one time was to make it taller so it showed up and then I learned that it looked better if I kept it shorter and instead used more of it to get it to show up.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Here are some other notes regarding real life forests and associated foliage plantings. Lower areas, even if forested with deciduos trees (lose leaves seasonally), are likely to have a mixture of dead leaves, ferns and other Ivy like ground cover, and in the Northern U.S. and South Eastern Canada there will usually be cedars in the wettest areas. Taller stringy grasses, in combo with thick "ankle grabber" types will grow in light to medium density forested patches such as say, an acre sized strip between fairways. Also (ref. your second pic.) typically*, nothing will grow under coniferous trees (evergreens, which lose older needles continously) due to the accidity of the dropped needles, so you would only expect to see brown needles and cones within their root base.
Hope this helps, Dave
*B.C. rainforests (comprised primarily of tall Douglas fir) are an exception. The amount of rain and retained moisture reduces the soils acidity, which allows ferns and various other types of groundcover to grow.
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

With a forest full of decidious trees, remember that just because there is not a lot of grass does not mean that there is a lack of ground cover. Any look at an acre of farmland with a hedgerow will demonstrate that point well. Of course, the thinner the trees in the forest, the more room there is for other things to soak up the moisture in the ground.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

OK, been ready to upload for a couple of days, but can't remember how to get rid of the course debris I made while playtesting. Can somebody remind me?????

I guess it's been too long since I have done this :confused:

Doron
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

You don't need to do anything before you upload. The debris is a separate file generated by the game. Everyone creates their own new one when they install the course. If you really want to delete it for yourself though, it's under C:\SIERRA\PGA2000\Courses. You'd have to either delete them all or look up your course's ID in the registry to know which one to delete though. Also you'd only want to delete the *.dbr files in there. The *.sta files are your statistics for that course so if you delete those you lose your course stats and best rounds.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

There is a place in the cloaking tool if you right click in the middle between the course and library column that says "delete course debris when cloaking course." I hope that is what you were looking for Bryce.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

DC, that's what I was looking for. Thanks! Brian, I didn't know that it was an individual thing for each pc. I used to keep debris off on my old pc, and I guess I have a reason to do it now on my newer one.

I am uploading the course as I type.

Doron
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

If by course debris you mean old divots, there's a place in the game itself. Go to options -> course and next to golfer is a check box for course debris. Unchecking it means you start fresh each game.