Looking for an Ocean Surf sound

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Re: Looking for an Ocean Surf sound

Post by Terry Grayson »

Since I started drawing a large circle around the hole or area I am working on and dropping it, therefore doing all the work within that one hole I have never not one time had the shattered glass look!
I do all my elevation work within the circle and optimize on lowest setting as I go...

Dont remember the course but I was way over a million points and was still having no problems ...Maybe stone forest
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Think it may have been Stone Forest. That thing is huge.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

The A #1 best piece of advice I ever received and in turn give is to "save early, save often, save save save." I would imagine that I save at least 1,000 times (perhaps a mild exaggeration but close to true) during the course of building a... course (hate using the same word twice in a sentence, but couldn't think of better.)

When, for example I start building a trap, I save. After doing the first elevation work, I save. After putting on the border and lowering it, I save. After doing the optimizing and smoothing work, I save. After lifting the "construction circle" (yes I use a small circle to build a trap inside) I save. I usually have a working file name like Course.15a, b, c, d, e... whatever; after completing the hole it only takes a minute to delete all the extraneous saved filed. The sweetest thing about it is that if the course shatters you've only lost the very latest bit of work, and I've found that building traps is the one thing most likely to cause a shatter; why, I've never figured out unless it's just too much detail for the arch to handle. At any rate, you just cannot save too often.

Yeh, that "T" tool is pretty darn cool. Looks like a hyperactive spider has been at work. :laugh:
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Bah, I'm experimenting with something. I've got 5 holes down pat, but the problem is, I've built about 15 in this one architecht file that I've erased. The file is now fighting me for everything. I'm going to try starting over from scratch with a fresh plot. While I know it will never be exactly the same, maybe I can improve the holes that needed improvement, get what I want by following your tips, and actually have a plot that isn't looking like it's tired cheese forms.

Thanks,

Alex
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

ADC, try wrapping a circle around the work you want to save, then do a maximum optimization of everything else. Make sure you've deleted everything but your base texture from the "outside" area before doing the optimizing.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Thanks, all, for the help, especially Indy. Wouldn't be as far as I am without your input.

Here's an update. I am working on my eighth hole, which is number 16 on the course. I can't believe I started two weeks ago and am already so close to half way done. Right now, the course file is at 24.0 megabytes even. I'm not worried, as only 3 out of the remaining 10 holes are in the dunes. I've always envisioned this place near Carmel, so like Spylgass and Cypress, I'm trying to go in and and out of the various terrain types as much as possible.

Here's another screenshot. This is the 5th, where the golfer emerges from the woods for the first time, to find themselves fully in the brunt of the pacific wind, lost in the dunes. The pin is kind of hard to see from the tee, but it is the second white stake from the left, and the one that is highest on the screen.

Thanks!

Alex
Attachments
PHGC#5 tee shot.jpg
(300.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Good lookin stuff Alex! Can't wait to play it! It's getting me more motivated to start a new project I've been thinking about. If only I could get this damn 3DEM to work. Stupid computers!!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Very nice work so far, lookin' really good! :up:
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

My biggest fear is that the inland holes won't be as good! I'm doing the best I can, and thanks for all the advice and compliments.

A Brandt! You rock! Thanks so much for making this library set, it's one of the best ever. Get working on your project, cause I can't wait for your next course!
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Hey, all

Ok, time for an update. Unfortunately, when we moved back to MN recently, things went bad, and I've had to start over. GAH! But, I remember enough of what I'm doing to give it a go again.

So, this is the first hole on the reconstruction. I've known all along I've wanted an extremely long par 3 somewhere, and I finally found the spot for it. So, here it is.
Attachments
long par 3.jpg
(295.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet