Testing!!

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Testing!!

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I kind of thought the same thing Terry (too lush) but I love the looks of the blending. I guess when building a desert course your thought has to be that the greenery has been built up out of the desert so that it (the desert) needs to be the predominant terrain. All the water needed to keep it green is coming from irrigation and dude, that's going to cost you a lot of money!! :eek:

How much are green fees going to be to play your course?? :laugh:
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Well Mike... I stand corrected, you did in fact mention that page one.. I guess Im getting so old Im losing my memory as well...Sorry , didnt mean to overlook your post..

Indy!: Well at this point, Im not too sure with all the cost it appears its going to take to keep this project up and running, that Ill continue... If I do, it will be free to walk it to the GSC crew..:) lol...

Thanks everyone...
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Terry, I think the course itself looks good, definitely too good to give up on. It actually reminds me of the picture of Sand Dunes I've seen rather than a true desert course. So at this point, I'm wondering if an alteration in planting towards a semi-arid instead of a desert course might be a thought?

This is a picture from a golf calendar I had a few years ago. The course name listed was wrong and I was never able to locate its real name or location, but with what you're working on perhaps this style of planting?
unknown course2.JPG
(287.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

I think you should stay with the desert theme, no reason to change . To tone down the lush look a little you might want to take a look at the Old Head library and textures. I used it on my last desert course, Sundance. Spencer.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Indy,

I believe that image is from Sand Hills a private course in Mullen, Nebraska.
Stan
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Stan, it's not Sand Hills. SH is essentially devoid of trees and shrubbery. I've gone through various websites and unfortunately haven't been able to find anything even close to its look.
Sand Hills NE.JPG
Sand Hills
(56.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I REALLY wanted to try to build that other one! :shrug:
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

The desert can be exceedingly lush during/after rains!
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Welll I guess I have been away a while... was just browsing the design section happened upon this... Is it sad I forgot I had been building this course?

From the singing group, now a football coach for my sons Mighty Mite football team (Go Kane, first ever game 3 sacks and 4 tackles for a loss) I just havent had time to do much of anything..Down time from singing, season over, and Im bored lol.... Anyway, I looked at the pictures, wondered what I did with the file, and sure enough tucked away on my external hard drive I found it named "work in progress"

So I fired up the old architect to see what was going on, noticed I am on like hole 14... I may just finish this one out considering I have some time off.. Between growing my Duck Dynasty beard and watching for Santa, I may try and give this a go....Ha ha...

Hopefully I will have the drive to finish it, I remember I was enjoying it very much ....So we shall see... Have a wonderful Christmas everyone...Sure hate I dont have much time to check in, and play this great game.... Have a wonderful night and God Bless you all..
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Post by Pyecraft »

...what with Mr Salter then Mr Grayson dustin' off the old tools, its going to be a little like old times back here very soon. Great to see you both at it again Terry, wish you the happiest of holidays.
May the only balls you slice be your own
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I've even got two holes finished!