Testing!!

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Testing!!

Post by Terry Grayson »

Since I repaired my computer a couple weeks ago, I have started about 4 or 5 different courses!!! However I would build 3 or 4 holes and then leave it sitting..
I was messing around earlier, and thought, you know I've never tried a desert style course.. So I went and looked at numerous different ones the game has to offer..
I settled on the look of Chris Andersons TPC at Scottsdale looking textures, but wanted more... So I created a texture set a little while ago to see how it would look...

Still not sure if I will continue this, or dive head long into a course with Links... I just got so much on my plate with work, kids, singing group I hate to committ to Duncan and not finish..I wouldnt forgive myself for that one..hes too good a fella for that...

Anyway I threw this hole together earlier... And did some test plantings with my texture set to see what it looked like... If you look at the blends, there are about 22 total I think it is... from desert to a dormant rough, from the dormant rough to the rough..Had to create two small libraries Grayson Desert 1 and 2Then some nicely watered rough, green, fringe etc textures....

So what do you think??? I aint totally sold on it yet, but I kinda do like the idea of a challenge of something Ive never seen nor tried..
Desert Test.jpg
Hole Test Desert style
(758.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
A Brandt
Club Champion

Re: Testing!!

Post by A Brandt »

Looks awesome Terry! I'd stick with that look!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Terry ! I like what you've created. I've only done 1 desert course myself, but know I can do better if I make another in the future. I believe you have a little more freedom in the look of a desert course because just in the U.S. alone there are 5 different regions of desert. Each desert region has a bit of a different look.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Love it Terry - those texture blends look fantastic! Don't even worry about what we've been discussing. That can happily sit in the background somewhere chugging along. Go for it with this one, a new desert library is also a great addition on top of the course!
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

Not a designer, but my artistic eye says go for it!
Cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Thanks for the feedback folks... I still am not too sure I know what I am doing here... lol... Never seen (other than tv) or been to any desert courses..But its pretty fun so far...

Couple of shots.... Not completed of course, but you get idea...

Hole Four Approach
Hole 4 Approach.jpg
(552.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Hole 5 Tee
Hole 5.jpg
(683.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

Definitely looks nice so far, a wise choice of colours. However, I wonder if it would look better if the blends were tighter. Especially when going between the green rough and desert sand.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Terry your blending of the textures is superb. My last desert course which I think was pretty good was Sundance. I really enjoyed designing it and I think you will too. Terry, may I suggest a different color sand for your bunkers. I think the white looks out of place for a desert course. Just a thought. Go for it, Spencer.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Thanks Spencer will definately check it out... I swear I thought the bunker sand was a grayer texture...looks that way on my puter...However it does look white on these screenshots... I may darken them down some...

Thanks folks for the feedback
Robert@
Shotmaker

Post by Robert@ »

Looks great Terry!

Blending does look great and I`m sure its a ton of work. But perhaps some blending around bunkers or a bunker fringe like scottsdale will really make them pop.