St. Ambrose Bay Golf Club

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ADC
Tour Contender

St. Ambrose Bay Golf Club

Post by ADC »

Hey, all.

So, the project I'm working on is titled St. Ambrose Bay Golf Club. It's my interpretation of the courses built pre-WWII. This picture is looking down the 3rd fairway, with the 2nd green in the far background. I took this shot because I think it shows off the features of the hole nicely, especially the kind of greens I'm going for. And it helps that I almost holed the shot from the bunker for an eagle ;)
Attachments
Ambrose3.jpg
(207.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Re: St. Ambrose Bay Golf Club

Post by stillgolfing »

Nice hole ADC, looks interesting.
Over the years, I have Beta tested and added comments from an artist's point of view over at Links Corner (I am not a course designer, so I can't comment technically). I assume for this course it's early stages yet, and the grasses/shrubs? that are partially planted in the fairway will be moved later. Just wanted you to be aware of this before release, in case it got missed. I wouldn't normally have commented, however having played about 120 PGA 2000 custom courses now, I have seen a number that have unrealistic plantings, where the greens staff could not in any way mow as the plantings are displayed.

Looking forward to the final rendition. Thanks for providing an advanced look.
Cheers, Dave
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Yeah, I didn't notice those plantings till after I'd posted the picture. They will be moved, they just got missed when I widened the fairway by about 5 yards. And while those are obviously mistakes, much of the planting is final, as I'm kind of a..."good enough" eye when it comes to that. The main thing here that IS final is the contours of the hole. It rises over 60 feet from tee to green (that little bunker at the base is there to mark the best line from the tee).
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

This is the 8th hole, a short par 3 from one ridge top to another.
Attachments
8th hole.jpg
(335.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

That looks really good....Love the contouring around that greensite there....Great work
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Thank's, Terry. That's a 5 foot "not-so-false" false front. The course is sort of modeled after Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw's Clear Creek Club that I read about at GolfClubAtlas. Clear Creek is full of contours like this.

Here's the GCA article
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by ... eek-tahoe/
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

:up: to the other comments. I really like the look of the grass planting on #8 and around the edges of the fairways, etc. A lot of work to get it right, but it adds a nice "real" rugged feeling to the course. I've always felt that some designers don't appreciate the importance of what's around the holes (and "off-course" views) as well as how the holes themselves play.

It's looking good.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Thanks, Indy. "Rugged" is exactly the word I was hoping to hear.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Very nice! It looks like there is alot of trouble just off of the fairways. I might need to work on hitting my driver straight!