Photo with a story

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ADC
Tour Contender

Photo with a story

Post by ADC »

Ok, so I was toying around with the designer the other day, the first chance I'd had in ages. I didn't really want to get into anything to much, so I pulled up my bare plot for Marionic that I was talking about last year. I remembered a tip that Mike New shared with me about building your terrain slowly, using the shape lines as topographical layers. I tried this as was so impressed. I finally got the plot I wanted. So, I thought I'd share a photo.

Before you look, an explanation. Stories are so important to me. I love to monkey around with history, ask "what if." It's one of the great things about this program. It can be such an a vivid extension of the imagination. I also deeply appreciate an amazing real life recreation course, but I've learned that is kind of beyond my skill level right now.

So, here's the story behind this photo. At first, I wasn't going to post it, but then it turned out much better than I thought it would have considering I just started it a few hours ago. Imagine it is next year, and the U.S. Open is coming to Marionic for the 3rd time. You see this photo in a newspaper or an online blurb. This is hole 7, located in one of the more remote corners of the property. On a normal day, you might even find yourself some solitude, just you and playing partner, especially if the weather isn't the best. Things will be different in a month, though. In 4 short weeks, 28 days, there'll be no "forward" tees, no quiet, no solitude. Here at No. 7, there'll be just 152 yards of great golf, waiting for the likes of Rory, Ricky, Lee, Luke, and Anthony, perhaps a little Tiger thrown in, and that wonderful, mystical place called Sunday.
Attachments
marionic 7.jpg
(272.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.