Pano Resolution

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Pano Resolution

Post by BrianZ111 »

I don't have much experience with making panos. I didn't need much on my previous panos, just blue sky with small trees at the bottom to fill in the holes where the game didn't render trees that were more than 750 yards away. This time I have a legitimate pano I've made from photos at the course.

Does anyone know what resolution you make the images? It seems like the best resolution I can use is somewhere around 320 pixels high. Anything beyond that and my scenery just gets way to big. It looks OK but a little pixelated. I guess maybe I'm expecting too much from a 12 year old game? or is there a way to make the images higher resolution? Thanks.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Re: Pano Resolution

Post by LinksLegend »

Did anyone ever manage to help here?

I still have the same issue - great source imagery and a reasonable knowledge of photoshop but have no idea what size (overall or in chunks) which can provide a pano that isn't heavily pixellated when rendered in arch or game.

Any suggestions? I am currently working one: 2620x350 split in to two chunks. Looks great until its in the game.

Cheers
LL
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

You may want to contact Adam on this one.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I ended up going with 6 1520x320 pixel panels for mine. Anything bigger than that just made the scenery get too big. There's some pixilation but if you don't look close you don't notice it. Here's probably the best picture showing how it came out: http://www.zagerdesign.com/golf_design/ ... 0green.jpg
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

hmmm... wonder if it's total width that makes the difference then. Yours looks great there Brian - and I actually gave Adam the base chunks for Kewadin (which had the same issue). Think I'll see if adding to the overall width helps although have absolutely no idea why it would...
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Brian, that looks like I am standing on the green instead of looking at a monitor. Is that from the great lakes somewhere in MI?
Robert@
Shotmaker

Post by Robert@ »

Try breaking your Pano into 4 equal panels in creator.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

bryce wrote:Brian, that looks like I am standing on the green instead of looking at a monitor. Is that from the great lakes somewhere in MI?
It's on the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan. Actually it's on the west side of the peninsula so you're looking at the waters of Green Bay and the town of Ephraim, WI in the picture.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=peninsula ... 9&t=m&z=11