New Project

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Re: New Project

Post by Terry Grayson »

Three more pictures from around the course... Should be done soon... Was working on hole 16 earlier, and accidentally rose the bunker lip instead of sinking it...Tried to undo, and it CRASHED.....Man and i worked on that hole for about an hour...Oh well start again tomorrow

14th:
14 Approach.jpg
(681 KiB) Not downloaded yet
4th:
Hole 4 approach.jpg
(730.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Finally 8th reverse
Hole 8 Reverse.jpg
(730.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Looks like you could just walk in there and start playing for real!
Fantastic work Terry.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Terry! SAVE SAVE SAVE!!!! By the time I got to 14 I'd have between 5-10 backups in place. Nothing worse than a crash or shatter when you're that far along! :(
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

LOL I normally do Judy! I had already planned on saving just after finishing dropping that bunker lip but BOOM!!!!!

And I had the hole just how I wanted it too...No way Ill duplicate what I had going...But I shall try! ha ha
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Stunning Terry. Absolutely beautiful. Love the stripped back simpler look too.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Finishing building the last 3 holes last night.... Now I wil go through and smooth and work on all greens get them right, and touch up any areas that need touching up and add tees markers etc....

Should be ready for upload in a couple days...

Rather pleased with it, took a little longer than expected (almost 3 weeks).... After building last 3 holes last night, it took almost 2 hours just to save it....(from all the plantings) .And I wasnt patient...LOL....
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Terry, sorry to hear of your t roubles on #16. I know how you muct have felt, as I have been t here. No matter how hard you try you can never quite duplicate what you had going on and that really hurts. Good news is, you're talented enough to recover most of it. Good luck old friend, Spencer.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Currently tidying up a few areas, will be uploading tonight, Im done...

I personally think as far as scale, my very best work...I had some great conversations with Wagers about scale and proper construction that helped me tremendously..
It just looks like everything fits (to me anyway) You can stand say on the approach on 4 and just see what what appears to be miles...I really have been concentrating on planting too..I think it shows here...I hope anyway

Hope you all enjoy...I simply named the course

Brookgreen!

Thanks for playing.....
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Terry,

I am very curious about this whole concept as scale. I'm starting to notice the role it plays in making things look just right. Would you ever care to share some of the learning?

Alex
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Alex

Just as you stated, makes it look right (or realistic) I never really studied that aspect until some words with Wagers made me look at things differently... An example...Hole one on Stone Forest, the huge cliff face behind the hole... I planted a few gigantic trees at the base of it...When I sent Wagers the picture, he said, in real life no way those trees would be as high as the rock face on that cliff.. I made em that big for visual impact but there were not realistic in appearance so I added one or two that would be of normal size and it in fact made the cliff face look even bigger, framed the hole and made it more realistic in scale... The way the forested trees on the mountainside on hole 2 on same course on the right hand size blend with each other and looks realistic in their appearance coming down the side of the mountain...Things like that...

Like some other courses I have built, A giant tree to the north side of a green for added shadowing, a pine tree 105 feet just is not too realistic.... Or foresting an entire area around a hole, without some removal of trees to see a green in the background on an adjacent hole, or the panorama from a distant with normal sized trees that make the framework of a hole just look real..... Those are things I am after now.... I wanted it to be realistic to me...Thats why Brookgreen to me is the most realistic (non real) course I have built...

I hope all that makes sense....Hard to explain...LOL..

Thanks for asking

Terry