Thinking about project "Kapalua Plantation Course"

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Re: Thinking about project "Kapalua Plantation Course"

Post by sandwedge »

Boris,
I am glad you have the urge to design again. I am a big fan of your work. It is getting pretty exciting around here - looks to be a great year for PGA. I like what I have seen so far.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Boris, the playtest version you sent me didn't come through as a .crs file and I can't get it to install. Duncan sent me a pano file a few days ago that didn't register as a .lib file either. Strange.

Kapalua Plantation Course_playtest_version2.7z
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Post by ogilvy2 »

Sorry Judy, I tried it again, please check your E-Mails.

Thank you very much sandwedge, I am glad that you like it.

Greetings
Boris
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

ogilvy2 wrote: I am not sure, which settings most of you use, but I follow your suggestion and will just try to hide it, when I see it and can find the right spot.
Here is a updated picture of hole 11.
I would guess most people have it set to maximum since computers now days can easily run the game at maximum. It's too bad they put a limit in. I guess they probably weren't expecting people to still be playing this game 12 years later. :laugh:
Indy Anna Jones wrote:Boris, the playtest version you sent me didn't come through as a .crs file and I can't get it to install. Duncan sent me a pano file a few days ago that didn't register as a .lib file either. Strange.
Kapalua Plantation Course_playtest_version2.7z
A file ending in .7z is a zip file. You have to use 7-zip (a free zip tool) to open it.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Boris sent me an unzipped file, Bryan. We're cool.
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Post by ogilvy2 »

Here are 2 more pics.

I would like to ask you all, what kind of textures (especially green texture) you like best.
I am not sure, which one I could use, so most of you will like it.
At the moment I use one (library hoc) where I like the color, but I am not really happy with the speed. Normal greens play very fast and dry conditions seem to be unfair to me (I don´t think I did to much slopes/elevations, and also don´t wanna make it way to easy) .
I really would like to have a texture that fits to the course and the playability is good for hopfully all of us (beginner, average golfer and the g8 ones).
I know thats almost unpossible, but I sure don´t want to mess up the course and make it no fun to play, just because the greens are to difficult.

Greetings
Boris
Attachments
hole8.jpg
(449.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole18_green_view.jpg
(416.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Boris, I like the looks. What libe are you using for your green texture? [Duh, never mind, I just read it, "hoc."] :rolleyes:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Boris! I LOVE THE LOOK. As far as fast greens go thats no big deal to me so long as the pins are fair ( not sitting near the top of a steep high slope). All I can say is see how some other green textures look. Then if they look good see if they putt to your satisfaction. You might try Sommerfelts Royal St. George green texture. By the way I love Gut Kaden but this looks like it will be even better.
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Post by ogilvy2 »

Thank you very much Steve.
I tried diffrent green textures out and ended up with the green texture from the poundcc2 library.
I am not really happy about the look but it is okay and still fits (I would say) and I like the speed.
It is a little slower texture, that makes dry green conditions still playable (my impression); and over all for me the playability is more important than the "perfect" look. Some may find it a little to slow, but you still have the chance to play it on very dry or do other adjustments like more wind, so it should give a setting that works out for all of us (I hope).

I had to do some changes on my plans.
I made way faster progress on designing than I thought and I spent a lot more time on it than I planed too.
I still wanted to wait with finishing the course, so I could have a look on the realcourse on TV, when the PGA tour plays there in january. That would have given me the chance to use those impressions and make maybe some changes on the plantings, but I am running out of time. I don´t think I will find a lot time for designing till the rest of the year and I don´t think I will find enough time for designing at the fist few month´s at the beginning of the new year too.
So I thought I ll finish it now after I did the playtesting to make it available for you.
This will also give the offline tour players a chance to have a look at it, so they can decide, if they want to make the first tour stop at it.

I may write a bit more about it, when the course is available for download (uploaded it earlier this morning).

I would like to say thank you very much for all the feedback and thank you to everyone for being there and keeping this great community alive.

I hope you will enjoy the course and I wish you all and your families a merry x-mas.

Greetings from germany
Boris
Attachments
kapalua_screenshot.jpg
(58.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Boris,

Thanks for thinking of us offline tour players. I agree, design looks really good. 2012 is getting off to a great start already!