Thinking about project "Kapalua Plantation Course"

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Re: Thinking about project "Kapalua Plantation Course"

Post by ogilvy2 »

Thank you for all your comments/input. It really helps me a lot.

DC, that was a good idea, I tried them out, mixed them with some from other libraries. It does not look like on the real course, but I think it could work out.
So far it looks anyway like I will not be able to make every hole look close to the real course, because of diffrent reasons. So I will just try to give these holes a diffrent look, that will hopfully look okay. That would mean the course will end up a little like a mixture of the real course and a fantasy look, but at least with the "hole layout" from the real course.

Mike, you could be right. These trees look really nice.

Judy, Yes, I agree, a good contrast between the diffrent texture would be really nice to have (for me thats one of the harder decissions to make and difficult to find), I guess I will think about the "final" textures, when I am further in progress.

Every suggestions are always very welcome!!!

Here is a picture of the updated hole 17, with those diffrent "big trees" and some other work done.

Greetings
Boris
Attachments
hole17_2ndshot_updated.jpg
(442.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Those do look better, Boris. I always found those AugNat tree a little too well groomed and have found them best used around the clubhouse, but they did like close to what you wanted. As far as being exact, hey you're a good designer and I know you'll do your best. I can guarantee you that our "real" courses are only approximations.
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Post by ogilvy2 »

Thank you Judy.

Here is a picture from hole 11.
I may have a problem there.
On the right side you can see the rock wall is messed up a bit and I can´t find what it could be on the architect file. The strange thing also is I don´t have it on my desktop pc. It only shows up "depending on flag possition" on my laptop (game settings are the same). On other pinplacements the messed up area looks diffrent (sometimes worse, than on the pic I posted).

Does anyone know if this is a graphic card problem or a designing issue/mistake, that can be fixed ?
I tried to optimize, repair, smooth some areas, where I thought it could be around there.........., nothing helped so far and I don´t wanna try out to hard (to much) because it could mess up more or other places on the course, or to much elevation work will get lost.

Any idea?

Greetings
Boris
Attachments
hole11.jpg
(409.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

The only time I've seen something like that has been because of the horizon setting, but that ridge looks too close in relationship to the green which looks even further away, although that may just be an optical illusion. The only thing I can suggest is to change your horizon distance and see if it disappears.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

It's the rendering distance in the game. Basically the maximum distance you can render in the game is 750 yards (off the top of my head). The jagged area would simply be the polygons beyond the 750 yard mark from the tee. Most courses have this area hidden behind trees, are downhill, or a combination of the two, masking this effect.

My opinion... if it's accurate to the course, leave it. I'm sure most folks around here would trade one little anomaly for an accurate course.

The architect BTW is not limited, thus the difference between how it looks in the game vs. how it looks in the architect.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Boris, I might suggest you take a look at the selection of trees in the North American Woods Library. Spencer.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Boris! I've had this happen before with no luck of a true fix. I try to hide it with trees or and a large rocks type formation. Altough not 100% accurate to the course it would be better to hide it if possible. If done right nobody will really know.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Yeh, I can't remember who it was but I mentioned in another post about how much planting was in part the art of camouflaging defects, like the "green wall." Some things (like possibly your hill) really aren't defects at all, just rendering defects. If you change your horizon from say, 600 to 750 (or vice versa) the "problem" disappears. IIRC, that's why I use the angled drive so rarely.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Definately NOT a messed area of course... Anytime you have monstrous elevation changes you will find this occuring when you are on a tee WAY away from it

I had it happen on Stone Forest and had to hide it.... I am currently working on a course.... Made a couple of hills 150-200 feet high, and guess what this happened again...Nothing I can do to fix it short of Flattening completely...

Just hide it....It will be ok.. :)
ogilvy2
Weekend Duffer

Post by ogilvy2 »

Thank you all.

Yes, it must have something to do with the horizon distance settings. I had it on 640 meters and changed it to maximum (680 meters).
That fixed the problem on this hole on my laptop (hole 11), but I still have it on other holes in some areas.
I will try to hide it as good as possible, I just guess I won´t be able to find them all.

The strange thing is, that on my desktop computer, where this problem did not show up, the game was also set on 640 meters, so same settings diffrent computer, diffrent view. Never mind, one more thingy to wonder about. I am used to it when I work with the computer, lol.

I am not sure, which settings most of you use, but I follow your suggestion and will just try to hide it, when I see it and can find the right spot.
Here is a updated picture of hole 11.

Spencer, thanks, DC suggestet the North American library too and I use those trees.

(Judy, check your e-mails please)

Greetings
Boris
Attachments
hole11_updated.jpg
(444.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet