New contest idea

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
A Brandt
Club Champion

New contest idea

Post by A Brandt »

I thought of a new idea for a design contest that may appeal to more people, mainly because it doesn't require nearly the amount of time and effort as a normal contest would. Basically, it will be a monthly contest in which anyone who wants to participate will attempt to recreate a specific part/hole of a real course. For example, I would post a pic of, say, the 18th green complex of a local course near my house. Then anyone who wants to try their hand at recreating the picture using the designer will post a pic of their work. We can vote on a winner, then that person will post a new pic for everyone to recreate.

What do you guys think??
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: New contest idea

Post by SteveHorn »

Adam. Thats an interesting idea but I'm not sure how many others would accually participate. Also 18 holes would take 18 months if its a monthly thing. WAY TO LONG
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Definitely a new idea that hasn't been used before. I agree with Steve though, a hole per month = a year and a half.

There may possibly be about the right amount to do this , but........let's say we get about 5 or 6 designers like we did last year, and we all create original courses with a catch. Someone NOT participating randomly selects different types of courses for each designer. For instance, designer #1 does a mountain course, designer #2 does a links course, designer #3 does a parkland style course, etc. This way we would have much more variety with our entries.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the plot we used last year, but one of the reasons it took me so long to complete mine was getting started with a spot on the plot. There were soooo many options, but we all seemed to use pretty much the same area. We all also had ocean side courses (although Craig turned his into a links course).

Just a thought
Doron
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

So a hole per month is obviously no good to anyone :bg:

That said, I could do a hole in a day but it would take me a year to do a course coz it's such a big commitment.

Why don't we do the one hole pass it on concept?
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Ok, I should explain further. I don't intend for any of the submissions for this contest to be "playable". I thought it could be a good way for designers to hone their skills in certain areas and to test their creativity. It would go like this:

- I (or whoever) posts a pic of a certain feature on a course they would like to see replicated
- anyone who wants to participate tries to recreate the picture
- everyone posts their final pic to the thread and a winner is chosen
- next month the previous winner posts a new pic for everyone to recreate

I never thought of actually doing an entire hole, but maybe a small par 3 would work. Basically you're just attempting to recreate a picture using the designer. I thought of this as a result of me attempting to recreate the bunker style on a local course here and failing to get good results. I thought, "what if I challenged other designers to try their hand at it". So there would be no uploading of actual holes, just pics of everyone's completed work. I hope that explains it better ;)

Also, it doesn't have to be monthly, could be weekly, biweekly, bi-monthly, etc. We could even do something like a "recreate hole #so-n-so from this famous course" contest. I'm just thinking of ideas that don't entail designing a whole course. I would hope it would give any level of designer a challenge to improve on their skills with the designer. Maybe come up with some new techniques for creating certain features.
Last edited by A Brandt on November 14th, 2011, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

I'd be up for a one hole and pass it along contest
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Adam, that actually sounds kind of interesting. Maybe we could all take pictures of our favorite holes on courses that we play in real life then recreate them too.
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Hi guys. I'm still around. Have been too busy to even look at having a game on PGA, let alone any design work.

This sounds like an interesting idea. I'd be keen to join a contest at some stage, if anything comes up. Keep up the discussions on it and I'll try to add some feedback at times.

Hopefully I'll get designing again soon.

Craig