Penrhyn Township Links

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Penrhyn Township Links

Post by Mike New »

Hey folks,

OK, I've mentioned it enough over the last month or so, so here are a few early screen shots. This should give you an idea for the look I'm going for. I also usually find that by posting some shots of what I think looks good, knowing they'll get some public scrutiny, it helps keep me focused to improve on what I have.

It's a quirky little links course set on the Northern coast of Wales.
Attachments
Penrhyn8.jpg
The 8th. A reachable par-4.
(118.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Penrhyn10.jpg
The 10th. Over a crest, large bunker in middle of fairway, large dune to contend with on inside line, green slopes away.
(83.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Penrhyn12.jpg
12th. All carry to green on clifftop. Deep bunkers fronting green.
(127.87 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Re: Penrhyn Township Links

Post by Mike New »

A few more.
Attachments
Penrhyn13.jpg
Par-5 13th. Downslope in fairway, combined with strong tee to green wind close to cliffs has produced 370 yard drive.
(113.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Penrhyn14.jpg
Par-3 14th. Long, thin green in foreground. 9th green behind.
(79.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Penrhyn18.jpg
Par-4 18th. From the tee. Long, thin-ish, winding green sits atop cliffs. White rock mid-distance shows direct line to green... if you dare.
(119.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

It's looking good Mike. I do have a few suggestions.
First, I'd do a little more smoothing on some of your hillocks and humps. The sharp edges on the rocks look okay, but IMO the others look a little sharp and wrinkled. I'd try for a more eroded look. An example of what I'm talking about is the little mound in front and right of your player on #14.
Second, I'd put an apron/fringe around the greens. These are typical on most courses and IMO give a more realistic look. The same goes for using a first cut to transition into the rough.
Third, although sparse planting works well on links courses, I'd put some grass planting around the greens and landing areas. There's not much difference in the colors of your fairway and rough, and that might help give it a little more definition.
I'm not so sure about that long thin green. I like the work around it, but it just doesn't look like it fits any course I've ever seen.
JMHO.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Mike New! I think this course has alot of potential to be an A list course if you follow alot of Judys suggestions. Have a look at Glen Haven. This may give you an idea of how to blend textures. Nothing wrong with a long narrow green but yours may need to be about 6 to 8 feet wider. Muirfield Village #14 has a long narrow green that really helps make it a classic short Par 4 hole.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Blends and edges!
There are no straight lines in nature.
Think about where your textures meet and try to blend them so they don't stand out so much and are obvious.
A great course has to condsider a few things:
18 well designed holes, smooth features and contours, all placed on a land plot that looks realistic.
Your texture edges just jump out at me, there's such a contrast.
Having said that, the course does look quite good at this early stage. I like the look of your sunken bunkers, and I particullary like the look of the pano, looks like areas of North Wales that I am quite familiar with.
Which pano is it?
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

The view you post for the 8th hole (3rd one down from the top) has a lot of cookie cutter trees or shrubs in the background, i.e. they all look the same. You might want to change that . Courses is looking good. Spencer.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Mike,

I'm a big fan of architects that get the bunkers right - looks like you've got it with this design. The 13th hole is marvelous - would not touch the rocks at all. I like the idea of a thin green on 14 - I think it could work well with the right finishing touches. I am looking forward to the release of this one - take your time, got a winner here! :)
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thanks all for the comments. I absolutely love it!

It really highlights for me the path each designer goes through to create. I'd be very interested in seeing a journal of one hole from each designer as it starts, develops over days or weeks, until satisfied. For example I've included two shots of the 13th since I posted originally. One is 24 hours later, the next 48 hours later.

For me personally, I like the general feel while I'm designing. Details like jagged edges will get smoothed eventually, fringe is unnecessary during design stage and I will eventually get frustrated with the obvious hard-cut lines. Right now I'm trying to create something strategically interesting that looks good, different and realistic.

Seems like the 14th will be a point of controversy. The philosophy on the course calls for quirky/different. As if the townspeople laid the course out 150 years ago and little has changed, nor do they want it to.

Polslad, the entire library is brand new. When I lived in Manchester I visited Llandudno a few times. Beautiful place, but at the time I had no idea of the castle just down the road. Would loved to have seen the town. To the best of my knowledge, The Great Orme is featured in that pano.

Again, thanks all for the comments. As I said, a little public scrutiny/input goes a long way.
Attachments
Penrhyn1348.jpg
The 13th 48 hours later.
(119.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Penrhyn1324.jpg
The 13th 24 hours later.
(115.26 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Castle just down the road - you mean Conway?