I've stuffed it up again

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

I've stuffed it up again

Post by Mike New »

Guys,

I thought I knew this architect and library creator pretty well, but I'm having a new issue. I added/changed a few things to the Penrhyn library (it's dedicated to that course and is used by that course only), then the game started rendering the view from the first tee, but crashes when it has to draw anything else.

It loads and compiles in the architect, I've replaced graphical objects in the LC, rebuilt the library (objects and textures) deleted all objects, zapped all terrain detail (still compiles and renders 1st tee only), deleted swap files, rebooted computer. Same deal.

I would appreciate any help you're able to provide.

Kinda takes the wind of your sails...
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: I've stuffed it up again

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I know nothing about the libe creator, so I'm winging it.
Is Penryh a library that you created or were you editing it then continuing to save it as Penryh? You might try saving with a different name, then removing the objects from the Penryh libe and replacing them from the second libe. You can do this easily by Cntl+double clicking an object which will highlight all the same ones. Next rt. click and choose properties. Click on the icon to bring up the library board, then select the same object from the new libe. If you are using various sizes, be sure and set heights before making the change and exiting.

It also sounds like you have a drawing error or a corrupted object. To test it, remove the latest objects you've installed on your course, save, come back into the arch and compile. I've been having trouble with some of the CDA objects in my latest course, and I've had to do that a couple of times. After removing the offending objects, it's worked fine.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

Alright, induct me into the PGA2000 Bonehead Hall of Fame... or is that Hall of Shame. It seems it was the background strip.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

Indy Anna Jones,

Thanks for the response. I'm too much of a control freak to rely heavily on other people's libraries. Not that they're not good enough, it's just that I need the ability to tweak everything, even if it means moving something 1 or 2 pixels left and 1 pixel down.

What's the issue you're having with CdA? I always assumed the stock libraries were a solid bet, other than the odd "blank" space holders they have.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I'm not sure. I've dl'd a new version from here, but going back to Alice Boge's Garden in 2005 I've had trouble with that library. On this course I tried to use some flowers to dress up the fence line in front of a concession area. The compiler wouldn't work until after I deleted them. On ABG, it was a few small rocks that I put in a water hazard; it compiled but whenever it tried to draw that hole (#3 IIRC) the game would shut down. It took me about 3 weeks to figure that one out; with Cougill's Keep I had finished #4 and worked on the area between #4 and #5, using just a few new objects, so it was pretty easy to isolate the problem this time.

Let me voice a small concern to you because I'm not sure of what you're doing with the libes. Are you creating new libraries using old objects and saving them with a new name, or are you altering current libraries and saving them with the same old name after you make the alterations? I'm assuming the former, but I hate to assume, you know?

The reason for the concern is that when you play Kali online, the library versions of each player must be EXACTLY the same, even down to the date. Poppy and I tried to play Kelcie's new course today; it opened fine on my computer but today Gary got the "course or libraries have been altered" message. Using Diguelo's collater, we found that our versions of a couple of the Ridge's libaries were different dates. Long story, the content of the libaries are exactly the same, but during various server uploads and updatings the date was changed on some of them. I updated my libes from the 2004 to the 2008 package, so we'll try it again later today.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

Hopefully I'll answer this right, because I don't know about KALI and the collator.

I created the library from scratch on my old XP system. After moving everything onto the new Vista system, when I loaded the library in the library creator, all objects, textures and so forth showed blank, but the correct captions (with file name) would show when I 'mouse over' the grid where an object or texture resided.

I took notes of each object and texture in order, then 'reset' using the LC reset feature, then re-added them to my original library file. Everything on my system works fine (other than a few well documented bonehead plays on my part).

Hope this helps.