Some problems

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Some problems

Post by SteveHorn »

I agree with sandwedge about the yardages. I avg. somewhere about 265 if hitting a driver off the tees. I played Seasons last week and there was a sharp dogleg left par 4 hole that you had to hit your drive 295 yards minimum not to have tree problems on your approach. I managed to do it barely on 1 of 4 rounds. The 3 times I didn't I had to advance it with a wedge then hope you can get it close on the 3rd to save par. If the winds in your face I've got no chance at all. Thats a poorly designed hole if you ask me. Recreaters can do it but never design a course just for the recreaters.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Ok, I am confused. I know the difference between Tri-Clickers and True-Swingers, but what do you mean, recreators?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Triclickers: We use the 3 click method for playing the game.... Most of us average a drive between 265-300.. I average about 298

Tru-Swingers: Use the horizontal or vertical true swing method in the game to move the mouse to hit the ball... Not sure what they average

Recreators: These folks recreate a player after every 9 holes... When you create a player using tru-swing, they normally hit the ball much farther... After 9 holes that
power advantage leaves them... They probably average 300-320 drives... Every club up too 9 holes hits the ball much further... The guys/gals that have perfected this method
are deadly on the golf course... However a lot of the clickers are pretty deadly too....
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Best recreator I know was southernrepub :bg:
Stan
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Hmmm....sounds like a dodgy practice to me.

I try and put doglegs at about 288-290 from the tee. If you can hit it 330 all the time, you deserve to punch it past the fairway bunkers on most courses. That's in the range that just about anyone will fire it down there. This is one of the reasons why I don't plant trees right up next to the fairway. The dogleg is at 285, but anyone from 260-310+ have a view of the green.

Just don't miss it on your second ;)
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I don't have any hard fast rules. I'll put doglegs anywhere from 260-290, but if a clicker can't reach the dogleg, then I try not to plant trees that'll get in the way of an approach. Same with traps. This is again a place where strategically planted trees come into play. On some doglegs (not necessarily mine) if you hit to the inside of the dogleg the trees might come into play, but if you keep to the outside you can carry over or around the trees. I set up #3 at Bali Shandra so that if you drive it all the way to the end of the fairway on the right side, you've gone tall palms affecting your approach. Laying off just 10 yards or so leave a wide open shot. I find "thinking" courses a lot more fun than "grip and rip" courses, but again, to each his own.
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

Have you tried challenging yourself a little? Instead of making the usual hills using single and two shape method, how about creating the elevations in topographic form? See the pic below as an example.

Each line would be 1 metre in elevation. Select two shapes, use the slope tool, rinse and repeat. When they're all done, give a few clicks of smooth (on about the 3rd notch) to the largest shape. I've done it with real courses and got some really nice results. You'll get some jagged edges, but you can refine them later.

If you're going to try it, however, start with the smallest shape, i.e. the highest elevation, creating them outward (downhill). Otherwise, you'll never be able to select them.
Attachments
Topo.jpg
(174.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Wow, Mike, I never even thought of doing that, but I can so see it working. Thanks!

On another cool note, I finally got both 3DEM and Terrain Assist working. So now I can use some real life terrain as well!