Custom Library Question

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ADC
Tour Contender

Custom Library Question

Post by ADC »

Is there any way to make items for a custom library if you don't have PhotoShop? I'm taking basics...even just little label cards like Coos Bay has.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Re: Custom Library Question

Post by A Brandt »

Yes, you can make objects in MS Paint if you'd like. You just have to save them as 8-bit bitmaps to use them in the library creator. There is also a free program available for download on the internet that a number of people use(can't remember the name of it). It is very similar to photoshop they say.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I've heard some people use a program called GIMP.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Yep, that's the one, GIMP. Never used it since I have always used PS, but I've heard only good things about it. Plus it's free!!
Mike New
Chronic Slicer

Post by Mike New »

To be honest, I would assume that the reason you haven't received many responses is because most people use Photoshop or PSP. MS Paint is pretty limited.

It's certainly the case for me as I can do anything I need to in PSP and very happy with it. Thus I never even touch paint and couldn't give you a satisfactory answer.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

How's the learning curve? And, on that note, how is making a custom library?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

The learning curve for PS wasn't too bad for me. I starting using it for photography, and found a zillion tutorials online. As far as creating libraries goes, the objects I use in my libraries are all "borrowed", except for some small items like tee markers. I have created some hole signs from scratch too. There are a few good tutorials for copying objects and textures from other libraries for use in your own custom library, and I've used those exclusively for my libraries(I don't use any secret PS techniques).