Textures for Edges

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Guggy107
Chronic Slicer

Textures for Edges

Post by Guggy107 »

Hey folks,

I was just hoping to get some recommendations for textures to use for edges. I'm talking about when you drop a tee box or fairway down to create the illusion of an edge. I am having a lot of trouble choosing a texture that doesnt look out of place. For the course I'm working on, I've been using mostly Gleneagle textures if that helps narrow it down.

Also, on a semi-related note, how do rough textures work? Does it really matter which texture you use in terms of rough length? I seem to remember reading something about an option that lets you basically set the "length" of an area of rough, but I can't remember where I read it or exactly what it said.

Finally, a question specifically about the Gleneagle Blends. Can anyone tell me what the various textures are? I have gathered that RA, RB, and RC are different versions of rough, and I am assuming that WA etc are weeds textures. I'm not sure on some of the others though. And what is the difference between RA, RB, and RC? Are they different cuts of rough, or are they simply the same thing but with different coloring? Thanks guys!
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Textures for Edges

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

As far as tee box edges are concerned, since these are just for looks and aren't going to come into play, just find something that matches the color scheme.
tee block.JPG
tee box
(30.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
In this pic, I've actually made a 2" wide object and dropped it 0.2". The tee itself is blackwolf, the rough is north american woods deep, and the trim is blackwolf rough trim (brroughtr.)
trim.JPG
fairway rough
(35.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
This is a small section of fairway rough. From left to right I've used brroughtr as my main light rough texture, then a 4" brrough section for the trim (red circle, barely visible, then NAWroughd, then another 4" section of brroughd for the last trim (yellow circle) then the main course texture (weed 12-harbour.) My primary aim is to: 1. find blending colors, and 2. not to alter the rough pattern (ie, deep between light and medium rough.) Sometimes it's just trial and error, and as this is a work in progress textures might change between now and when I finish.

Hopefully Adam will respond to your specific questions about the gleneagle textures, but I would assume that a-b-c means that the rough is getting progressively thicker/deeper from a-c, as in my course harbour weed 12 is thicker (and darker) than weed 10. It also could just mean it's a progressively richer color scheme while the texture qualities remain the same (see the DEM pine needle edges for an example of this.)
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Guggy! I know Adam had someone else ask about his Gleneagle textures a few months back but it would be difficult to find that post now. I believe this (course design) is the right topic to search in though.

I found it . It's in this section back on Feb 17th "Gleneagle textures". You need to open up page 2 to find it and read the postings.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Indy is correct, my blends are always created so each one is thicker than another. However, the course itself determines whether the rough gets thicker or thinner moving away from the fairway. My gleneagle blends go from light rough to thick rough, to blend from fairway to weeds. My Glen Haven blends are the opposite, because I wanted the rough lighter as it gets closer to the dunes/pine straw. Hope this helps!
Guggy107
Chronic Slicer

Post by Guggy107 »

Hey Indy, thanks for those pics. I think my tee boxes look pretty good. I need to keep working on my other textures though. How far down do you usually drop your fairway from the first cut and the first cut from your rough? Mine keep coming out too extreme looking, and I only drop them 2 inches.

And Adam, thanks for the clarification. Did you also do the Gleneagle library? If so, could you tell me what the fairway cut and rough cut textures are supposed to be used for? I'm assuming fairway cut is the cut between the fairway and the primary rough, but I'm really not sure what rough cut means. Thanks!

Just came across another question about the Gleneagle textures, so I thought I'd just add it in here. Why is the Gleneagle fairway colored blue in properties? Doesnt that mean unplayable lie or something like that?
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Guggy, I've never tried to "dropcut" fairways or roughs. When my husband was also designing he only tried it one time, at Quel Espoir Arete. #1, they take up a lot of points, and #2 after optimizing and smoothing they either disappeared or ended up looking ragged. Since I've been working solo I just use an appropriate texture for a "faux dropcut."

Now on the tee blocks, I'm using a 2" shape and a 0.2" drop, then optimizing the tee ~50-60% (or the minimum if it's higher) and the "drop" shape around 80-90% then a light smooth x1. I do the same on my traps although generally I use a 4" shape and a -0.35" drop. IIRC the "cut" tutorial recommended a 1" shape and -0.25" drop, then removing the shape (after optimizing) and a light smooth. Again the biggest problem was the work just disappearing.
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on November 30th, 2011, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Guggy, I did some checking...

The "fairway cut" is for fairway -> first cut, "rough cut" is for first cut -> rough. However, I didn't like the way they looked so I didn't use them. When I create a library, I usually end up with a a few textures I don't use. I leave them there in case someone can use them on their own designs if they wish. Also, the reason for the fairway texture showing up blue is because I accidentally checked a box labeled "free drop" in the library creator. I guess that means, in the game, you can take a free drop as long your in the fairway! Oops!

Just a side note, like Indy and many others, I also never drop my fairway to create an edge cut. It never looks right. I just inflate the shape by 2" and drop a "cut" texture. This creates the illusion that it has been dropped. It looks better from a distance. Up close it just looks like a thin strip of darker texture. The only time I drop to make an edge cut is for tee boxes, but I've gotten away from that and stick to the fake drop.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

I'm using the dropcut on the tees on my as yet unnamed new course but IIRC it's the first time I've tried it. I have to admit that the real dropcuts look really good when they work, but mon it's a lot of work to try to get it right 60-80 times, especially when you're getting deep into the course and the points are already piling up. Tees and dropped lips on sandtraps are sufficient, as far as I'm concerned. The most frustrating thing is when you try to do a small shape expansion (1-2") and you get the error message that you're trying to drop it on another shape... so you go another inch... then sometimes another inch... then when you get it to drop and make your elevation change it looks bad.

Anyhoo... my suggestion is just to find another library with similar but slightly darker colors for the textures you want to "drop." Except for some of the more exotic libraries (like the autumn libes) you should be able to find something.