Poor quality library objects

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Joe the UFO
Weekend Duffer

Poor quality library objects

Post by Joe the UFO »

I'm trying to create a library of course objects, but the photo's I'm trying to turn into objects lose a lot of color quality and 'washout' when converting from jpeg format to 24-bit map requirements of the program. Unfortunately I'm using the 'paint' program that comes standard with windows to make the conversion from jpeg to 24-bitmap. I would prefer to utilize the paint program and not have to buy PhotoShop or another high-end program to compensate for the loss of picture quality when converting. Any suggestions? Also, I'm using digital pictures shot in 8Mb picture quality. Should I use a lower quality picture setting such as 1, 2 or 5MB?
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Re: Poor quality library objects

Post by sandwedge »

Try GIMP - it's open source. It does a decent job of making those 8 bitmap objects look decent - at least for me :)
Joe the UFO
Weekend Duffer

Post by Joe the UFO »

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question, and forgive me for my ignorance: what is GIMP and does it come standard with Windows or computers that utilize Windows or do I need to install it from somewhere. :idea:
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

Joe,
Just do a Google search for "GIMP". You will find a ton of information plus you can download it for free. There are also tutorials available for download.

Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Joe! I don't know squat about creating objects for the library creater. I did find out for you what GIMP is though. GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
http://www.gimp.org - Cached
If you need some other opinions you may want to (PM) Adam Brandt or Terry Grayson. Also if you have further questions or issues you may want to post them under the technical problems area. Hope this helps
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

GIMP is basically capable of the same things that Adobe Photoshop is but without a price tag attached. There are other higher end free alternatives available as well but these have a much steeper learning curve attached to them. For what you need and for the ease of getting on board, GIMP seems to be a good fit - of course the folks here are the experts when it comes to making the libraries look just right - I'm just a guy that dabbles :laugh:
Joe the UFO
Weekend Duffer

Post by Joe the UFO »

I just wanted to thank you all for taking the time to help me through this prediciment. It's nice to know that eleven years after the release of this game, there is still technical support to lean on when needed. You guys are the best. Kudo's, keep up the good work. (P.S. I bought the game when it was first released in 2000 and have had eleven happy years of playing- and counting!)
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

We are very fortunate in having several designers (most with long histories) and library builders still playing and actively designing. Not all of us can help with library/object construction problems but any problem you're having with the designer itself, just ask away and you're sure to get a prompt response.