Design contest

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Re: Design contest

Post by A Brandt »

Ok it looks like we've got some interest to get something started. I guess we all agree that a partners contest is out of the question. So, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I liked the format for the last one, but I'd like to see something a little different. Here are some of my ideas:

-Choose a course style (parkland, mountain, links, etc.) and let designers make their own plot
-give everyone a list of 5-7 libraries to choose from and only use those selected
-limit the total distance for the course or give a range of total yardage (ex. 6900-7100yds)

That's all I have so far without getting too technical. Certainly we can combine ideas and rules or just keep it very simple. Maybe a new voting/judging process can be implemented too.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

I'm going to need a bit more time before I can start my contest course. Like I said, school is starting next week, and I still have to finish the one I'm on now. I have 5 more holes, 14-18, plus touching up on the first five, which are not up to the standard I'm finishing at when it comes to bunkers.

I do like you criteria, though, especially when it comes to a yardage range. One thing I'd like to see is some courses built for the distances PGA likes to run. There was a time when a 275 yard drive was blast and a 420 yard, uphill par 4 could really be a struggle. Would anybody be interested in a 6700-7000 limit?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I might be interested in giving it a whirl if the deadline wasn't too quick. Just promise that if you don't like it you won't tell me :laugh: I have no desire for feedback or criticism - just compliments :laugh:
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

sandwedge wrote:I might be interested in giving it a whirl if the deadline wasn't too quick. Just promise that if you don't like it you won't tell me :laugh: I have no desire for feedback or criticism - just compliments :laugh:
WAY TO BE HONEST!
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

ADC wrote:I'm going to need a bit more time before I can start my contest course.
That's ok, it'll be at least a couple weeks before I'm ready to start a major design. I'm working on a couple courses right now, but it's a slow go with my work schedule. So I'd like to finish at least one of them before starting a contest.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I'm not ready to start another course yet either. To close to the finish of Medinah to put it on the back burner. Hopefully I can finish it in 3 weeks but I've run into a snafoo that needs corrected.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

My next project, redressing Terry's new course has come to a crashing halt. I'm not sure if it's the size (1.3M points) or the established libes, but I've had nothing but trouble. I cleared the objects, optimized the main texture, then tried a couple of other libe textures. It saves but won't compile, and now I've got several placeholder libraries. This I can't figure out because all of the libes needed were uncloaked. Oh well. :shrug:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! I'm having the same problem with Medinah. Tried to compile for the 1st time and it crashed. Not sure why at the moment. I had more points with Point Reyes, but I haven't had a chance yet to figure the problem out.I'm confident I'll get it to compile soon.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I'm not sure in what order the compiler works; usually before any planting starts it moves slow until the bar is just beyond half way then flies across the other half of the bar. I'm getting that error/crash just beyond half way. I've reinstalled all of the stock libes and libes Terry used. When I click on the placeholder it tells me "montagu" which isn't being used, but when I tried to play yesterday the game wouldn't start because "tournament" was missing. (Reinstalled tournament.lib; game worked fine.)

So, rather than messing things up to the point of a possible reinstall, I'm just giving it up.

Steve, without seeing your work but being familiar with Medinah, is it possible that you have an area that is simply too complex? Like I think it's the par 3 #13 that has Lake Kadijah, traps front and back of the green? Those complexes like that take up a lot of points in a small space... maybe some optimizing in such a space would help? I know those places like that have caused me more compiler crashes than anything else. Checking those areas with the net tool has always helped me.
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on August 21st, 2011, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! Still haven't had time to do much with the architect, I have most of the weekend to iron out the problem. At this point I think I'm going to have to save my nessasary files and do a reinstall. I think somethings corrupt but will check the points in areas also. Thanks