Design contest

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Design contest

Post by A Brandt »

It's about that time of year for me when I start having more time to work on designing. I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in another design contest. I had this idea to do a "doubles" contest, with teams of two designers collaborating on a design. Ideally, I thought it would be cool to have a veteran matched up with a newbie or less experienced designer, but I'm not sure we would have enough interest from either party. Crud, we may not have enough interest to do another contest anyway. Just an idea ;)
ADC
Tour Contender

Re: Design contest

Post by ADC »

I'm up for it. I'm about a 3rd of the way through Chanhassen, so it will take some time, but yeah, contests are fun. And we get lots of new courses all at once.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

A Brandt! I have to think about it. After doing Point Reyes then Muirfield Village update and now nearing completion on Medina I'm a tad burnt out but that usually doesn't last long.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Adam, I'm up for a contest. Much like Steve, I'm burnt out from working on my rendition of my home course. I just can't seem to get the layout down right. Maybe something new to inspire me will be fun.

Doron
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Well, I've trashed 2 courses since February, and Terry just sent me the plot for his new Stone Forest course that I'm going to try to replant (nothing wrong with his, definitely... I just have a different vision for it) so if that would count...
I think I qualify as a newbie, don't you? :laugh:
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Adam! If we do have a contest I don't believe we'll have enough people to team up. Last contest only 5 finished but nearly 10 said they would particapate. So far unfortunatly there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest :/ . Hopefully that changes. I''m open to hear other suggestions and ideas.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I agree that there won't be enough interest to team up. I'd just like to figure out a way to include some of the new guys (ADC, Guggy, etc) without it being unfair. Not sure the best way to go about it.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

To me, no matter what course I'm building, the challenge is to build the best course I've ever done. If that's not as good as something anybody else does at the same time, it's no big deal. So, I don't worry too much about "unfair." All it really means is that in the next month or two I'll have two courses online instead of zero.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

ADC wrote:To me, no matter what course I'm building, the challenge is to build the best course I've ever done. If that's not as good as something anybody else does at the same time, it's no big deal. So, I don't worry too much about "unfair." All it really means is that in the next month or two I'll have two courses online instead of zero.
That's a great way to think about it!! I hope all the newcomers here feel the same way and would participate in a contest. I'm sure I wasn't the only one disappointed in the lack of participation for the last one.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Count me in if this comes to fruition...Would be happy to work with someone/anyone... Got the design itch again...got one on burner (one started before Stone Forest) and just recently started working on a library (Btw Adam, used a good bit of your main texture set from Glenhaven to create some unreal blends) Hope that is ok...If you arent cool with it, Ill scrap it...Should have asked first...

I have a cliff blend set that I am trying something new with rocks I have never tried... Really highlights the dips,valleys etc in rock faces...Almost looks real...Kinda suprised myself with it..Only thing as we all know with a bunch of blends I could jack up the final course size....Im tinkering with a bunch of ideas... a total blend out from rough to cliff that honestly cant see where one begins and the other ends... Just tinkering with it now...not sure if I will do anything with it yet...

Anyway back to the point...If we all decide to give it a go, would love to work with some of the designers around here, new or old....