Design contest

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Pyecraft
Scratch Golfer

Re: Design contest

Post by Pyecraft »

Yes Steve, I like the idea of taking 2 or 3 adjacent holes (exact number depending on number of contributors sharing 18 holes) and connecting them via some common thread. Perhaps by double greens, common fairway bunkers/hazards and so forth. Here also maybe is where a designer might wind the course through a quarry, links or marshland area, etc. 3 holes allows for fulfilling a more creative idea that might arise, and allows a better flow when changing such things as terrain, fauna, elevation as so forth. Which is imo, somewhat restricted by the need to comply with a given course structure/ethos. Be interested in yooz'all further thoughts on this?
May the only balls you slice be your own
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Count me in on a 2-3 hole project. I also like the idea of working with a newby designer; I've enjoyed "tutoring" our new designers and think this a worthwhile project. I know the holidays get in the way, but I'd prefer doing this during the late fall-winter. Using free file transfer systems like "yousendit" and "teamspeak" would make communication fairly easy also.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

I'm aftraid I wouldn't be interested in going solo. I think I need the help of an experienced designer. I do like the 3 hole concept though for what it's worth :)
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Ok! So we don't have enough to pair everyone up but I think any newbie designers like sandwedge or any other newbies who want can team up with a more experienced designer. Or and some can go solo. I'm for whatever is going to get everyone interested to be involved.
Also I think it would be cool to use a plot with no holes layed out. Whoever is 1st to designer decides where the course starts (probably Adam) A clubhouse and any other extras like practice greens or driving range, what the 1st hole par is going to be, the lenght & direction. The next hole goes to another designer. They keep the 2nd tee's somewhat close to the first green and go from there. Keeping in mind there should be more par 4's then 3's or 5's just try not to have more then 2 par 3's or 5's on a nine. Of course a set amount of libraries would have to be decided and a style of course to a certain degree. What does everyone think about this suggestion. Adam where are you?
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Yes some kind of guidelines are needed unless the course ends up like "18 all the way" (which isn't a bad course, but it is a hodgepodge of styles.) Questions like style (seaside, farmland, valley), type(s) of planting (open, deciduous, pine) etc. would need to be considered, plus a major library for the basic texture.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

If it would be easier, when you want to pass the architect file around feel free to just upload it to the site. Then let Dar or I know and we can reply with the download link so you can pass it on to the next person(s) or even post it on the forum if you want it more public.

I unfortunately won't be participating this time. Work is cutting a large chunk out of my time now and outside of that I've got about a million things I want to do it seems like. :laugh: As far as design I'm doing some design in CPG now and if I do have time for design in PGA it will be to focus on finishing Peninsula State Park Golf Course which is about 2/3rds complete but going very slowly.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Steve! I like all of your ideas so far! Sorry I haven't been around lately, I moved and haven't had a chance to set up my PC yet. For now I'm using my phone and Mac to check up on things here. I won't be able to start on a contest for another couple weeks :(

Once I'm ready I can certainly find a plot to use. I'd like to get a consensus on what type of course it will be first. After that I could locate the clubhouse area and create a starting hole. Before all that we should agree on what/how many libraries to use.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

As far as design I'm doing some design in CPG now and if I do have time for design in PGA it will be to focus on finishing Peninsula State Park Golf Course which is about 2/3rds complete but going very slowly.

Brian,

Probably not the place to post this but where do you go to get a copy of this game? Are they still in business or are only old versions of it left like with PGA? What is the link for their website? Is it a game for designers only or does it bring strong gameplay to the table as well? Heard a lot of conflicting stuff about the game - I know some of the PGA guys went there and have always been curious I guess.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yeah so we won't hijack this thread I've answered you here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&p=3167#p3167