First pic

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
ADC
Tour Contender

First pic

Post by ADC »

Hey, all.

This is the 2nd hole at a the new course I'm working on. I know it's not perfect, but it is as good as I can get it at this point.
Attachments
ccc2.jpg
shot uphill par 5, #2 at Chanhassen Country Club
(201.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: First pic

Post by SteveHorn »

ADC! Looks DARN GOOD to me. Looking forward to its release.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

ADC,

I checked out your picture and I have a problem with it. I cannot figure out what is "not perfect" about it... lol.

Looks great,
Dar
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Lol, thanks to the both of you!

I've got the first 3 holes to the point where I acknowledge there is nothing else I can do to improve them outside of play testing when all 18 are done. The goal here for me this time is to just finish 18 holes in the summer I have left, plus the extras that my fictional little club requires to please it's members. I hope to have all of these done in the next week or so, as that's all the time I have left before school starts. The great news is that I don't have much else to do for the next week, lol!
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Looks GREAT to me...Very nice...

The only thing, perhaps a few very small (no bigger than a foot or 2) smaller, darker plants in the areas with those lighter grass objects just to break it
up and give some great contrast between the color of the rough there and the trees....Dont overdo them because what you have is great, just sprinkle some in there
and you will find it will make it even more realistic...

Wonderful start however....You have a very good grasp of the arhictect tools...nice variety in sizes of trees....
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Looks good, but I think I might have put the finger on it for Dar.
Your tees (IMO) are way to big. It seriously looks like you could land a helicopter on them. I would also reduce the size of the teeblocks to maybe 6-8" maximum.
I like your colors and pano selection though. From what I can see your sand traps look okay. I agree with Terry about some variations in your grass plantings. But all in all it's looking pretty good except for the tees.
(Please take my criticism in the manner intended, helpful. I know I can be sharp-tongued at times.)
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Indy and Terry,

Thanks! Right now, my primary goal is to get 18 holes built and flowing between fields and woods the way I see it. Fine tuning will come after, so thanks, I'll know what to look for as I continue. Indy, if I may ask, what do you suggest as a good width for tee boxes? It's one thing I never have been able to get very well.

ADC
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I'd say maybe 12-14' max width... something that isn't going to fill the screen. We did the same thing when we started and began to think, how wide are the tee boxes on the courses we play for real? Most of them were about 6-8' except for the starting and 10th tees which were usually a bit wider and more dressed.

Again, that's my taste and opinion, but a lot of the teeboxes in the early courses looked like landing strips and the teeblocks looked like monuments. My thought usually is "what does a real course look like?" If you check out Robert@, Wager's, and Terry's designs you should get a pretty good idea of what I mean.

Of course sometimes, like on par 3s, you're going to put your black and blue (or white and red) markers on the same block in a more lateral position. (Like "/' only more horizontal.) In that cases a wider teebox is only natural.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I like my teeboxes a little bigger than Indy's. I have gone a little smaller recently though. It depends a lot on the hole; par 3's get bigger teeboxes than others, I may make several smaller teeboxes for certain holes too. Also, middle tees are the largest because, if it were a real course, they would get more play. Back and forward tees are the smallest. I usually use a width of 25ft as a starting point and go a couple feet wider or narrower depending on the situation.

My tee markers are always placed at the same width. I just use the path tool and make a small shape, say, 15 ft wide and place it along the intended shot path with one end where the teeing position is. I then place the markers at the edges just in front of that point.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Just letting ya'll know, I'm about half way done. "Finished" hole 9 today, will post some pics tomorrow.