Panos and Plots

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Guggy107
Chronic Slicer

Re: Panos and Plots

Post by Guggy107 »

Okay. I finally just figured out a pano actually covers 360 degrees. For some reason I was thinking it only covered 90 degrees of the edge, and that a plot had 4 copies of the same pano for its edges. I guess that makes sense considering it is CALLED a panoramic :). Anyway, I'm going to check out those suggestions you made. Unfortunately, I've already built my coastline and put some work into creating decent dunes along the beach. If I find a different pano that I like, I know theres a way I can either rotate it or rotate the course plot. Problem is, I've clicked the rotate button before just to experiment with it and I couldnt get anything to rotate. How would I go about rotating either the course or the pano to fit where I've currently got the water?
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Guggy107! I don't believe there's anyway to rotate the plot. The rotate button is for 3D objects like bridges, fences and such. You should download all the panos in the utilities section. They are listed under the heading "PGA 2000 design" copyright club course panos.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Guggy, you can't. As I wrote yesterday, you have to look at the various views and route your holes accordingly. As Steve said, the rotating tool is for 3d objects only. I would even venture to say that selecting the pano must be the first item on the agenda when you're starting a new course. At this point, I would advise you to just start over.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I agree with Indy, unless you can find a pano that works with what you've already got, you may have to start over. If I'm not using my own custom pano, I always pick one out before starting any work.

Also, just a side note: you can rotate any 2D or 3D object, as well as any shapes that haven't been dropped, but not the plot or the pano. You can only rotate the pano in the library creator if you've made your own custom pano.
Guggy107
Chronic Slicer

Post by Guggy107 »

Okay, so no rotating. That actually works out, because the Machrie pano that Indy suggested actually looks great and it works with what I have.

A few posts ago, I asked about course plots. I was kind of surprised at the lack of pre-made plots on here and was wondering if anyone could point me towards a better selection. I am not really into creating the plot of land; I'd rather find the holes on what is given to me. Anyone know of somewhere with a better selection?
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I don't know of any other place online. I have a couple of undeveloped plots I could send to you, and maybe some of the other designers have some they've saved. Usually when I (or we when my hub was designing) finished a course we just saved the completed arch file and not any of those made during the development phase. PM me with your e-mail if you're interested.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Guggy! If you know of a course that I've made or any other active user of this site that you would like to do your own design let them know with a (PM). Any course that someone still has the Arch. file on can easily be made into a plain plot with nothing there but the textures, hills and slopes. Or if you don't like to make a full plot ahead you can make it as you go hole by hole. I've done this, and I know Robert@ does this and some others have done this. It accually is pretty easy to do.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Guggy, I once asked the same question about the availability of plots. That was when there were zero available! I still wish there were more available and I should probably admit some guilt for not uploading more of my own plots. Please feel free to PM any of us designers if you would like to use one of our plots!
Guggy107
Chronic Slicer

Post by Guggy107 »

Thanks a lot guys. I'm pleasantly surprised at how nice and helpful everyone in this community is. For now, I'll probably just plug along with what I've got going. I'm working on an original links design, and so the plot really isn't difficult to make. It's just taking me some time becuase I haven't used the architect in about 10 years! If I ever finish this course though, I'll definitely consider sending one of you all a message about aquiring one of your plots.

I do have yet another question though, and hopefully it is appropriate for me to continue with this thread. I'd rather not clog up the forum with questions, but if you guys would prefer that I start a new thread for these questions, just let me know. My question is about textures for dunes. I'm trying to recreate the Scottish dunes look for the transition from the beach to the golf course, and right now I've got the dunes texture from Canaveral Dunes. It's just a placeholder though; the English dunes are usually a little greener and grassier. Anyone have any good suggestions for a dunes texture? The color palette for my course is pretty dark. Ive got overcast skies, and right now I'm using the Birkdale tones (though that could well change to something similar).
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

You can check out my glenhaven libraries (there are more than 1, but I can't remember which one has the dunes textures). They got a lot of praise when I released Glenhaven so I think you'll like them ;)