Flattening pin position on green

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Flattening pin position on green

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Okay, I've got an issue I've been fighting with ever since opening the designer the first time.

Too much slope on the green, so I'm wanting to flatten an area of maybe 6' for a pin position. I flatten to avg. height (varies). I slope it down maybe .4-.5. After I optimize and smooth then go back and check the spot, it's right back where it started. This is one thing I've never figured out. Any suggestion on how to get this to work right?
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Re: Flattening pin position on green

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Widen the area you want to flatten. Then try it.
Stan
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Judy

I do this several ways, depending on how I want the pin position to present itself as well as dependant upon where said pin position lies within the green complex

for instance,: I have a two teired green with a couple positions up on the back ledge and a few on the lower tier... I will draw circles as you suggest about 6 -8 feet around them
and instead of average height flatten tool, I may use on the back tier flatten to max (Or whatever it is) and on the lower I may use the flatten to minimum...And sometimes vice versa to give different variences.. I have used average before but it just doesnt give us a good enough flat spot around the pin positions especially if you are building a nice TOUGH greensite....

give those a try and see what happens, you will be suprised how differently the pin positions turn out...If you go back to that page (dont remember if here or MyGolfer) and find the collaboration and that one hole I created, I put a pic of a green position (well hold on Ill post it here..LOL) anyway, I used the flatten to maximum on this one position and it turned out exactly like I want it too...Hope this pic helps explain what I mean...
2010410101241_Front%20of%20Green.jpg
(530.46 KiB) Not downloaded yet
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! Stans right! Depending on the size of the slope the bigger the area you need to flatten because once you smooth and optimize the slope in question is going to creep back into the flattened area. If you end up with to much of a flat area just adjust the area your smoothing with a shape that works for you and elongate it into the sloped area and smooth some more.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Terry! I'm guessing but I believe thats hole #4 at Mill Creek.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

It worked to a degree Terry, but I'm still faced with the steep dropoff on the upward side of the slope down to the flattened area. That's been a bugaboo I've fought against since I started designing. I'm going to have to get hubby off his bottom...
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! I find that if a slope isn't quite right and I need to make an adjustment of either lowering an area or raising an area use the hill tool. Make a small very low hill maybe 2' high in the middle of the area you want to adjust. Then use the shape you want in that area and flatten on avg. If its off and its still needs adjusted hit the undo button. Then readjust the size of the hill you made and repeat the process until you have the height your looking for. Then smooth and make any other minor touches smooth on low as needed ( except steeper sloped areas) and optimize on low. Hope this helps. That undo button is great.
spencerturner
Scratch Golfer

Post by spencerturner »

Real nice green Terry. Well illustrates your point. Terry is one of our best teachers and new designers would do well to listen. Spencer.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Lol, us old designers do well to listen to Terry also! :up:
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Thanks yall, makes one blush :) lol

Judy post a pic of what it looks like after you tried my trick....See what we can do with it :)