Ken Mc Arch file

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Re: Ken Mc Arch file

Post by LinksLegend »

Stan - I reckon I might be after a renovation project myself - although I'm probably going to revamp one of them beyond recognition... now if I can just find my game disk! That's made it through 5 house moves if you can believe it :bg:
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

If you can't find them, let me know.
I'll copy mine and send them. :bg:
Stan
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Is it worth making them available for D/L under Utilities? Just a thought... ( I can't find my game disks if you hadn't guessed ;) )
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I've added them to the plots section of the utilities page and called it stock course plots.

I also added the plots for the recent collaborations and contests. (Kapalua/Mai Nui 'ekahi, Mill Creek, Death Door Bluff) They were previously available on my personal site but I thought it made sense to put them here too.
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

So, I'm still quite taken by the idea of a renovation project on an old PGA course, and what better place to start than the 3 kindly provided by the designers on the original release. I started work on a hole from Steve Opfer's Abernathy Park, but I guess my question is - "Is there any point?" I'm intending to change the holes significantly but would people bother to download if it resembles the original too closely? Let me know what you think.

The hole I started with is the 18th, a relatively short drive and pitch hole which plays pretty easy in its original form. As you can see from the overhead I made quite a few changes - pinching in the fairway, adding a bunker left to add a more difficult carry down the ideal line (left side of fairway). I removed some trees from the tee to give an early view of the clubhouse, and I added some progressive bunkering down the right to challenge the longer players and punish wayward 'grip and rips' from the tee. I added a lot more movement in the local undulations on the green, and removed the back centre bunker leaving a fairway run-off in to a deep hollow and a difficult chipping challenge if missing the green long. I also made the pot bunker long right smaller and deeper etc etc.

I guess the question is do you think there is value in carrying on or would it be better just to create something from scratch?

Cheers
LL

Layout:

Drive:

Approach:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I like the idea of a renovation, and love what you've done so far!! I would say it all depends on how much time you invest. I think everyone would agree that the more courses we have available, the better. But if you feel that your time would be spent more productively giving us a completely original design then do that. I for one would love to see the changes you make once you're done, that course could use an overhaul.

On a side note, Iv'e run across several courses lately that I thought could use an overhaul. It's apparent some early designers had great vision as far as course routing and strategy, but lacked the talent with the architect to bring the course to it's full potential. If only we could tinker with these as well.
Stan Nehilla
Legend of Golf

Post by Stan Nehilla »

Carry on !
:up: :up:
Stan
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

For what it's worth, my vote would be to work on new courses vs reworking old ones.
Dar
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Some courses its been so long since I played them if you did a redo it would fill like a new course to me. I'm still considering a couple of redos but I also want to do a brand new course or two. I'm investagating Medinah and a couple other real courses. Also may create a new fictional course. Doing the real thing seems to take a lot longer.