What's next?

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Re: What's next?

Post by Polslad »

Had a go at some of the bunkers at Lytham last night, optimising takes FOREVER on the completed course with all the objects and crowds, do you know, I don't think I have the will power to sit and watch that little cursor spinning for minutes on end, so I laid out Royal St Georges instead.
I have the architect file for Royal Lytham, if anyone else wishes to 'adjust' the bunkering, if not, just don't go in them when you play! Easier said than done.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

A small suggestion here Pols. Just move the pepes and grass objects as a group. Draw a square around your bunker(s), lift the whole bunch of stuff by holding down the control key+left mouse button and move them into the fairway or onto the green (ie, out of the way.) Do the necessary work then return the square of objects right back into position.

In case you already know this, sorry for being condescending. :/
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! Nice tip. I for 1 didn't know this could be done.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Got all 18 of Royal St Georges laid out, (bit hairy on 18, darn thing kept crashing everythime I added an elevation, had to move the whole hole about 70 yards to the right!).
Had one round quick play test, expecting it to be perfect, no way!
I have to go back and re-do all of my greens, they are impossible.
Major surgery required.
It's all good fun I soppose.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Ouch! I feel for you but you're out of reach!
Trying to fix greens has caused me an untold number of headaches over the years, especially when they're too steep. Flatten, depress... then optimize and smooth and they're right back where they started. And IMO, nothing makes or breaks a course like bad greens (except bad bunkers, maybe... and your St Annes aren't bad David... PGA just never made an 80 degree wedge for the game. :bg: )
LinksLegend
Club Champion

Post by LinksLegend »

Greens sound like they play the same as in real life then...! Good luck with it Pols - looking forward to it playing it. Let me know if you want some play-testers.

Cheers
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

David! Are you sure you need to redo the greens or just move your pins so they aren't in an unfair area? Or if you have a few slopes here and their that are out of whack, make a shape around that area and smooth around notch 4 to 6 once or twice. This will tone it down. Then expand the shape by 2 feet and smooth at least twice on lowest setting. Then optimize once on lowest setting.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

No Steve, the greens need major rework.
Thing is, if I smooth them to be playable and fair on dry with the Glenmarnock texture, they end up quite flat and featureless.
There's my answer right there, use a different texture?
Some of my false fronts are a bit severe also, haven't a cat in hells chance of chipping and holding.
No worries, I've seen this sort of thing before.
Big worry though ids the plot is very delicate, never know when it's going to crash, even though I optimised every thing and point count is around 5.5 million.
Walking on thin ice in carpet slippers!
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I thought I would attempt to post a few pics of Medinah #3 soon to be released
Medinah 13th tee.JPG
13th tee
(177.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Medinah 18th green.JPG
18th green looking towards 1st tee ,practice green and clubhouse
(158.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Medinah 17th tee.JPG
17th tee green sits right on the edge
(169.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

It's looking really nice Steve. Isn't Medinah the site of the US Open where Hale Irwin sank a 40'er to tie Luke Donald then won the playoff the next day? IIRC he was 48 and is still the oldest player to win this event. I can't remember the year though.