Questions about texture properties...

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Questions about texture properties...

Post by A Brandt »

My first question is about properties for a Rough texture. In the library creator, you can select via the radio buttons to have your texture "type" set as Rough. Now when you click on "ball behavior" you have options for Light, Medium, and Deep Rough. On some of my courses I have elected to just choose "Other" as my texture type and use one set of properties. I am wondering what the differences are between the two methods as far as setting course conditions is concerned in the game. If I have only one set of properties for the Rough, will the game change how the ball comes out depending on whether you select long or short? Or do you need to have all 3 sets of properties for each rough length?

My second question is regarding the way the ball bounces off certain textures. When the ball comes down on the side of a hill, say in the fairway, it doesn't carom as much as I'd like. Is there a property I can tweak to get the ball to kick off the hill more?
Last edited by A Brandt on March 20th, 2011, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Re: Questions about texture properties...

Post by Terry Grayson »

If I am reading correctly about the rough choices in the library creator then yes you need to change behavior on each tab

If I am creating a rough texture, I click under type the radio button for rough... Then I click on ball behavior and change the ball coefficients on the "light rough" tab
to "rough light" then on the medium rough tab Rough Medium and so forth... I do this for each "rough or weedrough" etc..

Basically in the game when you set conditions, short, average and long (They are bascially from the creator of "light',"medium" and "long) and will play according to how you set the ball coefficients in each of the tabs...

Bunkers are the same way cept they have :light,medium, deep and buried ( I set each and every one of them for every sand texture)

Hope that makes sense...

Yes on the second question but I cant for the life of me remember exactly which one it is...
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Thanks Terry, what you said makes sense. Another question I thought of is, how does the game determine if your lie should be light, medium, or deep rough? I ask all this because I was recently play testing a hole and my ball just trickled into the rough and I was left with a deep rough lie where I would rather have a light rough lie. But I realize I may be better off using one rough texture for just off the fairway for light rough and another texture for deeper rough surrounding.

I hope all of this isn't too confusing!
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Anytime bud

When you choose your game conditions before the game, you have the option of choosing Short, Average and Long rough.... Depending on how (Whomever) created
the texture sets, or if they created the sets properly then you will get the Short, Medium or Long properly matched in the game

Ive seen courses rough where you could tell it was not set properly in the library creator, because I set the conditions as LONG rough before hand, however the rough
even though it showed it was long, it played like fairway because the builder of the library did not set the ball behavior coefficients properly...

In game conditions equals

Short: Short rough set in ball behavior (Short tab)
Average: Medium rough set in ball behavior (Medium tab)
Long: Long Rough set in ball behavior (Long tab)

That way if I choose short rough, if they built the library properly then it will play like short rough and will not be too tough to get out of

That last part of your question and this is how I would do it...:

If I put a texture set say a "First Cut" of rough just off the fairway, I would normally in the creator make this play like "Short rough" on each of the tabs under ball behavior, that way when the conditions are set, then it wont matter if i choose Short , Med or Long it will play like short rough because that is how I set it up in the creator...
THe next texture of rough outside the First Cut, I would set up like Short, Medium and Long to make it play according to how I set the conditions in the game...Hope this makes sense...
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Ok it seems I'm a little confused now. I have my rough texture set up just like you explained, with different settings for each respective tab. But when I play the course, with rough conditions set as short, average, or long, I still get different lies while playing. It could end up being light, medium, or deep, all within the same texture. What I'm thinking is that depending on what your course conditions are set as, the game applies some coefficient to your texture's properties from the lib creator to make them harder to get out of if set on average and even harder on long. What I don't get is how the game decides if the lie is light, medium, or deep.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I'm pretty sure it doesn't tweak your coefficients based on the conditions you set. The lie you draw is just random. My theory on the effect the condition setting has is that the short rough setting makes it more likely you'll draw a light rough lie and vice versa for deep rough. I don't know for sure though. I never did any scientific testing or anything like that.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Thanks Brian, I was thinking the lie you draw may be random as well. I suppose, now that I think about it, just because your ball comes to rest just off the fairway doesn't mean it has be light rough. I've had plenty of crappy lies in the rough at numerous courses when my ball just barely misses the fairway. Maybe I'll just leave it the way it is and tweak the properties so it plays a little more realistic.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

There are two selections for every texture.
1- The first is the radial button that is only used to display the ball, as-it-lies on the ground. For example: if you create a rough texture, you wouldn't want it's displayed ball-lie as fairway or teebox. It just wouldn't look right. This has no-effect on ball flight.
2- The ball behavior is how the texture actually affects the golf-ball's flight-properties. For example: Heavy rough will slow the ball down more than light rough. Buried-lie will be more difficult to play than light sand. etc. etc.

I hope this helps!

Robert D. Wagers
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

lol, If I would have just read the posts... I would have noticed that Terry already posted an adequate reply and explanation.

Oh well... Maybe my explanation will help someone!
RDW
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I don't know anything about creating libraries, but I've been studying the different textures for as long as I've been working with the designer and can tell a lot of them by sight. I especially note on the first hole or two the speed of the greens.

Now my question, and this is more regarding the game than the designer. If I end up in the rough the first thing I note is if it's light, medium or deep. Then I observe the icon for how the ball is situated; ie, is it sitting up or deep in the rough. I've found that the text may say "medium rough" but if the icon shows the ball sitting up (or deep) I've found that this often has more effect that the text. Some textures (pebble, sawgrass) are like hitting out of velcro even if it's light, while others tend to be flyers... again depending on the lie (grande palm, which I used for Ullna.) Is there a reason for this?