Questions about texture properties...

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Re: Questions about texture properties...

Post by A Brandt »

Indy, the small pic of the ball's lie is a just a reference for the player. There are default bitmaps in the Sierra folder that a designer uses in the library creator to show the player the correct lie. It's up to the designer to have the correct lie showing. It does not affect ball flight. Ball flight depends solely on the texture's "ball behavior" properties set by the designer.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Okay, so if done properly it simply signifies a light, medium or heavy lie. Hmm, would be interesting to know how many (or few!) were done correctly.
Thanks.
Robert D. Wagers
Shotmaker

Post by Robert D. Wagers »

Yeah Indy, on a custom library, if you do not change the display settings for each texture, it will just display the default for each texture type ie. Fairway, rough, green, etc. Sometimes its not what you really wanted displayed but it gets forgotten about more-often than you think.

The displayed ball lie does NOT affect the playability at all. The ball behavior is what does that. So, it's common that they get mixed up or forgotten about!

The visual lie is supposed to be a visual cue to the ball properties... but it can fool-you if they are NOT set properly. You might think you have light rough when in fact, the properties were actually Heavy Rough.

I know there is at least one library that is all screwed-up. I think it's the Q-School library. If I remember right, every rough texture is set to flyer-rough even when it says heavy rough.