Change of direction

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Change of direction

Post by A Brandt »

I thought I'd give an update of what I've been working on since my last design. I have always thought of doing some real course renditions of some of my favorite courses. I had started a project a couple of years ago, but lost motivation to finish it. I have recently started the project over from scratch, and I'll say that with the help of DEMs and the Terrain Assist program it makes the initial routing so much easier!! What took me several hours, and a lot of guessing before, took me less than 1 hour this time around. The course is the Katke-Cousins track at Oakland University in Rochester, MI. I had the privilege of playing there a bunch when I was taking classes at the school. I firmly believe this course should be in the top 10 best courses in the state, but it hardly receives any attention. I heard a rumor last year that they may be pushing for a tour stop at this course. I noticed they have been doing some major renovations to a few holes, and the course sets up pretty well for spectators with plenty of room for corporate tents and such. Who knows, maybe they'll bring the Buick Open back!! Anywho, here's some screenshots of some nearly finished holes.
1Green.jpg
1st Green
(646.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2Tee.jpg
2nd Tee
(501.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet
6Tee.jpg
6th Tee
(582.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I hope to tackle some other Michigan courses that I am fond of, with the idea to be able to play my favorites year round.

For anyone interested, here's a link to the courses history...
http://www.oakland.edu/?id=2878&sid=65
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Re: Change of direction

Post by Craigus10 »

Looks great Adam. Some nice blending around the the fairways and tee boxes. Textures all look great together. Looks like it should be a good one.

I don't know the area, and can't comment on planting, but they look great otherwise.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Adam! Looks like a really nice Parkland type course. Some nice undulations showing up so far. You said this is Oakland U.In MI. Is it near that teriffic monster course Oakland Hills.
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

Steve, Oakland Hills is about a 20 minute drive SW from Oakland University.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I know it won't be my best work just because I'm new to this real course stuff, but I hope everyone enjoys it. Also, I'm beginning to find that the difficulty of the course doesn't translate to the game very well. I think it's mostly because of the shorter holes where in real life I would never hit driver, but in the game you can smash a driver straight every time and have a short iron into a green that would otherwise be much harder to hit. But at least I'll get to play the course on my PC when there's snow on the ground outside. :)
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

SteveHorn wrote:Adam! Looks like a really nice Parkland type course. Some nice undulations showing up so far. You said this is Oakland U.In MI. Is it near that teriffic monster course Oakland Hills.
Steve,
I live in the proximity of both courses. Oakland U's course is around 4 miles north of me and Oakland Hills is roughly 8 miles South and West of me. I would say the two courses are no more than about 10 miles apart, as the crow flies. Sadly, I never got to play either. :(
Dar