Looking for a DEM Plot for TA

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Thunder91166
Weekend Duffer

Looking for a DEM Plot for TA

Post by Thunder91166 »

I was wondering if any one might have a DEM (*.hdr/*.txt) file for a plot roughly 1600 x 1600 up to 2000 x 2000 yards for TA, It need not be exactly square. Anything would be nice, I found cypress creek and fishers Island but would prefer a smaller "Country Club" style size.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Looking for a DEM Plot for TA

Post by SteveHorn »

Have you checked out the 2 dozen plots listed in the utilities section of PGA2000
Thunder91166
Weekend Duffer

Post by Thunder91166 »

Yes I have, but those are for CA, I looking for a plot for Terrain assist, one I could use over and over with different overlays before I go into CA, I can edit heights later. I just need those two files and i can flatten them out.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

I can create one for you of a specific size. Are you are just using it to draw shapes or what is the purpose? If you want a specific location for the terrain I can create that for you as well otherwise I'll just pick a location myself.
Thunder91166
Weekend Duffer

Post by Thunder91166 »

I'm Just using it to create shapes, a plot about 1600 x 1600 yards thats flat would be great, I'll do the height work by hand, it's for personal courses bases on the real clubs around my area
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Alright, not sure about how to go about making it completely flat but I'll try to find a fairly flat piece of land.
Thunder91166
Weekend Duffer

Post by Thunder91166 »

Ah flat is easy, Edit the .txt file, I can do that. The .hdr file contains the width/length that I don't know for the plot. Once I have a plot I can go from there, The problem comes from me being to darn late to the party and almost all the stuff I've read has out of date links to close or moved web sites
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Sure you could edit the file but that would be a lot of numbers to change to zero. I'll try to find a large area of water. That should be flat. Should have it for you tomorrow. Also if you just don't import the elevations in the CA, only import the shapes, then the plot will still be flat so it might not matter then.

Tried my best to explain my process here: http://www.zagerdesign.com/golf_design/ ... /index.htm Of course that is 9 years old and I pretty much don't do any of the downloading or manipulating of data and imagery the same anymore. It would probably work that way yet though and the TA to CA part hasn't changed any since those two programs haven't changed any in that time. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Figured out how to create a totally flat piece of land in Global Mapper only to have 3DEM refuse to open it. A piece of land where I put a big flat area in the middle loads in 3DEM but as soon as I crop it down to just the flat area 3DEM crashes. 3DEM seems to have some kind of bug dealing with a completely dead flat piece of land. :laugh: Wish I could just export it from Global Mapper to the TA but I don't know how to get it into that Terrain Matrix format the TA requires without going through 3DEM. I tried but it looks like I'm going to have to give you a non-flat piece of land.
Thunder91166
Weekend Duffer

Post by Thunder91166 »

That's all good, I only takes a few key strokes to flatten, In notepad I use 'replace' and step up from 1 to 9 with 0 :) so actually it's very quick to do for TA, I just need both files so an overlay will fit right in the plot, If i know the plot is 1600 x 1600 I can use google earth to layout a plot that is that size (give or take a few yards) for a screen grab, I know of about 30 or more courses in my area (Sacramento / Placer / El Dorado, CA) that will fit with room to spare, If it to much bigger then I have to cut and paste pics to fit and that is a pain. I really do appreciate this, I tried and had no luck getting this stuff many places, even links on your site, some still worked but not the way they used to :/ , maybe this is something you could add on there for other people fustrated and confused with the web that would give them a good starting point.