So, what are you up too?

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: So, what are you up too?

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I finally installed all the courses from the disks Stan Nehilla sent me 7 or 8 years ago (! where does the time go.) I still need to check my A list and dl the ones that have been designed since then, esp. those from the past year.

I've been practicing and playing some games against computer players. I can't believe how bad I've gotten; my best score for 18 is +7 and I actually shot a +20 on one of my own courses.

I can't help but admire the engineering that went into this game. It started with W98 and has now gone through 6 (if I count right) DOS changes and it still works great. If only the engineers had stuck around instead of going to EA, even for a couple of more years to fix the few problems and add the few things most people have complained or commented on over the years.
msmvet
Chronic Slicer

Post by msmvet »

Thank you Polslad and Steve for your advices. I took them and went for it. Hope the result be something close to the real thing.
Indy, hope you be hooked again by this game and have you around.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

msmvet! You can get a hole by hole on PGAtour.com. Open home page then click on the tournaments tab. Scroll down and select the tournament. Then hit the course tab on that tournaments page,then scroll down near the bottom to open the hole by hole.
seopfer
Chronic Slicer

Post by seopfer »

Installed PGA Championship Golf 2000 and have been loving every minute of it! I forgot how much fun it is and how beautiful the photo-realistic trees, sky, and textures can be. It's a joy! I was proud to be part of its creation and I'm even more proud today because it stands up to the test of time...which can't be said for much software today...especially 15 years after its inception.

I might even crack that architect open and have another go at it.
Course Design Consultant for PGA Championship Golf 2000 by Sierra Sports and Headgate Studios
http://www.steveopfer.com
http://sola.nsu.edu/seopfer
Craigus10
Scramble Player

Post by Craigus10 »

Hi Guys,

Finally found some time to get the PGA golf out again and have a game or two! It has been a long time. Great to see so many of the original people on here and great to see so many courses still being designed and uploaded for what is still my favourite golf game to play. I have plenty of downloading to do!!

I've been busy with kids, work and study without much time to get into any serious designing or anything like that, but have a trip coming up this week and may need something to do on the plane to keep me occupied!

I'll post some reviews once I have played a few rounds on the latest courses. Hopefully might get into building a new course or two as well.

Craig.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Hi, all

Can't believe July is almost over! Haven't gotten to tee it up much lately. I did take 5th in a 4th of July tournament this year. -1. But the field wasn't really that strong, and it was a very easy par 3 course where I should have done better.

In other news, my wife and I recently adopted a 5 year old Jack Russel terror, I mean, terrier. His name is Roscoe, and he says hi.
Attachments
11209572_10155880954405343_2733482304814594656_n.jpg
ROSCOE GREETS THE GSC COMMUNITY!
(83.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
bryce
Legend of Golf

Post by bryce »

Glad to see you on here again Craig!
timmo365
Weekend Duffer

Post by timmo365 »

After 12 years of playing with the standard settings, I've bit the bullet and moved to the advanced settings. I got sick of the lack of distance I was getting with standard settings, long courses would just kill me. After not being able to break 85 for quite a while, I won a tournament the other day, in my recreation of the 1967 PGA Tour season, of course I won it at -6 so I've made sure the pros in my season can't shoot the lights out - not quite ready for the that.

I've also been messing around a bit with the game's audio, became a bit tired of 'this course architect needs to be arrested,' so I've replaced a bit of that with the NBC analysts - tiresome job, but actually like having the patrons yell 'you're the man' at me when I hit a wood. I don't know if this is sacrilege to mess with the commentators but it keeps things interesting.

I'm also considering trying the architect again, I'd love to know if there is a really good burnt green or fairway look out there - not to the extreme of Chambers Bay but along those lines. Bit disappointed with my first effort the more I play it.

I can't wait for Shinnecock's release as well, I've been substituting it in my US Opens with Harrisburg National by Dave Boyer.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I'd best get a wriggle on then!
Only complete 2 holes so far on Shinnecock.
Having a lull in design desire at the moment.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

timmo365! Yeah those announcers will drive you crazy. That's why I have them turned off in the options menu.