new laptop

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
ADC
Tour Contender

new laptop

Post by ADC »

Just got a new laptop! It's awesome. Wondering if anyone's tried PGA2K on Windows 8 yet. If so, any tips to get it up and running?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: new laptop

Post by SteveHorn »

Alex! Bought a new desktop about 13 months ago with windows 8. Didn't really have any problems since it was the first thing I installed. You may have to set compatibility mode to XP or you may have a window pop up asking if you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer,just say yes. I can see some problems happening with certain antivirus or security programs can cause problems.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

I'm running windows 8.
I have the compatability set to XP for PGA, it just asks me every time for permission to play the game or open the architect, cloaking tool or course manager, all of which are set to XP also.
Game plays just as well and looks great.
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

I Have an HP Envy laptop running Windows8.1 Update. I had 2 issues. I Had to locate, download and manually install 3 old WinX files as recommended in an earlier Win7 problems thread, and I had/have to turn off my McAfee Antivirus to Install the game and any courses and libraries because, when installing with antivirus on, the courses after installing don't show up in the Games' Selection List, even though they are in the correct location and visible and selectable in the Course Manager.
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Ok, so I downloaded the Installation Package from the Utilities page. The program has some issues installing. It looks like it's with the uninstall area of the program. But it finishes, and gives me an "Installation Complete" message. When I go to run to game, it says "Can not find file, you must reinstall PGA Championship Golf." I've done this twice now with the same results. Anyone know what's going on?

UPDATE!

So, I found an old thread on this. I'm missing the win x files. Where can I get them?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

ADC,
Just do a google for them.... lot of sources out there.
Dar
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

I've just got a question: what exactly are winx files? I google and get results for WinX DVD player files, but that doesn't seem like what I need. HELP, please?
stillgolfing
Turning Pro

Post by stillgolfing »

ADC wrote:I've just got a question: what exactly are winx files? I google and get results for WinX DVD player files, but that doesn't seem like what I need. HELP, please?
Sorry just said Winx off the top of my head. They are Active X files (.OCX) and typically are associated with a 339 error with PGA 2000. Search on "339 error" in the Technical Forum and you will see numerous related posts. The original Win7 solution was posted by DAR I think several years ago. I have a post there somewhere that updates his info for Win 8.1 (some file locations and file names changed for 8.1). If you don't find my update I may have it in a text file somewhere? I can take a look and repost it.
Good luck!
When dyslexic golfers hit a wild shot, do they yell erof !? .... stillgolfing
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Hey, guys. Just curious. Anyone know the exact file name of the .ocx file needed? I found a site that has a ton of them.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

Hey, everyone!

Anyone playing the game on Windows 10? I've a friend whose still trying to help me get it going. Just wondering if it's worth it on Win10.