Great to see PGA 2000 lives on!

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
GolferGuy02
Range Rookie

Great to see PGA 2000 lives on!

Post by GolferGuy02 »

Wow...
I didn't know the game has survived this long and has such a strong community still thriving. Does my heart good!

I produced this game for Sierra. It was a passion project for myself and my marketing manager. We are both avid golfers and this game was a dream for us to be a part of.
It's great to see that it has stood the test of time.

Anyway, great to see all of you still here and playing it.

-MJ
:wavey:
ADC
Tour Contender

Re: Great to see PGA 2000 lives on!

Post by ADC »

Let me be the first to say

THANKS!
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

GolferGuy02 ! Thanks for making such a great game. It may be dated in graphics and a few other things but its stil the best pure golf sim. Also with over 1600 courses the varity can't be beat. Tiger Woods still can't get it right after 10 years unfortunatly.
Terry Grayson
Competitive Amateur

Post by Terry Grayson »

Still to me the best ball physics of any golf game ever created....Thanks for what you guys did way back when MJ!!!!!!
GolferGuy02
Range Rookie

Post by GolferGuy02 »

My pleasure... really!

The credit really goes to Vance Cook and his team at Headgate.
I hope the commentary was pretty good since I did write that and direct both Mark and Grant. ;) We had even more ambitions to dynamically integrate the commentary and create a bunch more to really avoid repetition, but we ran into time and budget contstraints as usual. Anyway, we did our best to make it conversational. At the time I think it was much better than the competition.

Justin (marketing manager) and I produced the intro video as well at Sahalee. He was our star too. That's him walking away up the fairway. He even hit the ball and got the tee flipping over and staying in frame on our 2nd take. Fun times indeed.

I did the deals with all the great architects who contribued to our Platinum editions etc. Super great bunch of guys.
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

I love Brian Silvernail's designs. The commentary is good, and at the time far outpaced the competition. The fact that I can still play 72-hole tournaments with all the sounds on proves how lasting it is.

Since the first time I saw at age 14 or so, that intro video gives me chills. Golf is so important to me, and that video just...captures what it means to be alone on a golf course, those amazing shots that somehow or another no one ever seems to be around to witness. Good job.
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Thanks Mike, it has been great fun for my family for years - my girls have literally grown up with the game and it has given us a lot of laughs :) I think that it is pretty obvious that real golfers had something to do with this game - it captures the sport unlike any other in its genre!
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

GolferGuy02 wrote:Wow...
I didn't know the game has survived this long and has such a strong community still thriving. Does my heart good!

I produced this game for Sierra. It was a passion project for myself and my marketing manager. We are both avid golfers and this game was a dream for us to be a part of.
It's great to see that it has stood the test of time.

Anyway, great to see all of you still here and playing it.

-MJ
:wavey:
MJ,
It is an honor to have one of the original development team members drop in to say hi. I just wanted to add my two cents worth...

As an old IT guy who (among other things) was responsible for the applications development staff for a major corporation, I am continually astounded by the durability of the PGA2000 software. WITHOUT ANY MAINTENANCE, It has survived for all this time in an environment of continual change in hardware and operating systems... pretty incredible. I think that durability is a real tribute to the programmers who put the software together all those years ago.

In my opinion, PGA2000 is about as close as you can come to the real game. As Terry said, the ball physics are amazing. It is mind-boggling how well the ball responds to wind, dryness conditions, slope, etc. Beyond that there are many forward-thinking features like ball tracer that are only now showing up in the real PGA tour telecasts. They seem to think it is a big deal... we have had it for years.

Thanks again for a magificant game. We still play in Kali almost every day. There are some real hard-core, top caliber players who regularly beat the hell out of each other... lol.

Dar
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

I would just say ditto to all that has been said here. I think you and your team would be astonished at the number of friends that this game has brought together. I know of a few that have actually met in person, myself being one because of this game. We have mourned the lost of friends that we never met. So Thank you again for producing a game that we all still enjoy so much.
nbaldwin
Novice

Post by nbaldwin »

Still to me, the best golf game ever. I've played them all and went to the TW series for the 360(even links on the XBox) but there has never been a golf game that has immersed me the way this one does(although after 12 years I do wish I had some different commentary LOL). Wanted to add, thanks to those responsible for this sight. With Facebook and my sports sights that I belong too, I still think some of my best times on the internet was the old Course Depot and Teebox sights. Man, those were some lively discussions back then about all the sims.