Great to see PGA 2000 lives on!

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
SLouis62
Novice

Re: Great to see PGA 2000 lives on!

Post by SLouis62 »

I still have PGA 2000 installed on one of my old PC's that uses a 4 X 3 monitor. I am curious about how people are playing this game now. Would I be able to install it on my latest PC which uses XP and a widescreen monitor? The native resolution of the monitor is 1650 X 1080. Also how do people play it with other people? Would it work with Hamachi? Thanks in advance.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yes you can play it in wide screen. The window adjusts to whatever size you make it. You might have to adjust your camera view a little but luckily that's pretty easy. For playing online Kali is the only known way to do so right now. If you need help setting Kali up Dar (tincup) is probably the best person to ask.
SLouis62
Novice

Post by SLouis62 »

Okay thanks. Actually my monitor resolution is 1680 X 1050. Will be interesting to see what PGA 2000 looks like at this resolution.
SLouis62
Novice

Post by SLouis62 »

Just checked my games shelf. I have PGA Championship Golf 1999 Edition and PGA Championship Golf Collector's Edition. The latter has three disks, the Installation CD, Course CD, and a Collector's Edition Courses CD. I assume that it is the Collector's Edition that eveyone is still playing and is referred to as PGA 2000? I also have a patch with the description PGA 2000 # 3345 and something called PGA Course Manager Fix. Is this patch the last one for the game? I assume that I would also have to apply the course manager fix. Good thing I burned these on to a CD. I had the foresight to burn a lot of the courses to a CD as well. On my shelf I also see Front Page Sports Golf from Sierra which must be the first one to use the interactive swing as it indicates that it is for Windows 95.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

SLouis62 wrote:Just checked my games shelf. I have PGA Championship Golf 1999 Edition and PGA Championship Golf Collector's Edition. The latter has three disks, the Installation CD, Course CD, and a Collector's Edition Courses CD. I assume that it is the Collector's Edition that eveyone is still playing and is referred to as PGA 2000? I also have a patch with the description PGA 2000 # 3345 and something called PGA Course Manager Fix. Is this patch the last one for the game? I assume that I would also have to apply the course manager fix. Good thing I burned these on to a CD. I had the foresight to burn a lot of the courses to a CD as well. On my shelf I also see Front Page Sports Golf from Sierra which must be the first one to use the interactive swing as it indicates that it is for Windows 95.
SLouis62,
First of all, welcome back to PGA2000. :wavey:

There are three flavors of PGA2000: Standard edition, Collectors edition (CE), and Titanium edition (TI). The only difference between them is the number of included courses that come with the game. It doesn't really matter though, because all courses and libraries, including CE and TI related are downloadable from the course section.

The 3.3.4.5 patch is the last one for the game and needs to be applied if you are installing the game, especially if you are planning to play on line.

The game looks fantastic on a wide-screen hi-res monitor. I am personally using a Samsung 23" monitor with resolution set on 1360x768 and it looks great. Depending on the type/size monitor you use, you might have to tinker with the monitor resolution settings and/or the swing camera settings in the game. No big deal.

Again, welcome back.
Dar (aka Tincup)
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

I would suggest PGA2000 over 99... I'm sure you know that! :)

Actually, the larger the screen, the better it looks. I've played it on our 34" widescreen TV and it looks good without looking pixely.

Now a few comments as a designer. For years my brother and I, then my husband and I played Jack Nicklaus Signature then JN5 golf. After we stumbled on PGA99 in a $10 bin, that was it; we were hooked and though we've played Links and TW, nothing could compare to PGA99. We messed with the designer (hub more than me), then later when we got the 2000 version went whole hog into it.

I won't dumb it down and say the 2K architect is easy; it's not, it's very complex and has a long learning curve between just making a course and making a good or great course. It has it's bugs and limitations, obviously. But compared to the Links (Arnold Palmer) or TW designer it is easy to use. I only regret that the Headgate people didn't give us one more update to iron out the few existing game bugs and a few more options in games, etc. before they headed off to EA.

Anyway, a real pleasure to hear from one of the original designers, and mucho kudos and gracias for what is now 11 years of fun, laughs, outrage, frustration, jubilation and awe. You guys did one fantastic job!!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
SLouis62
Novice

Post by SLouis62 »

Sorry but one last question about the patch or patches for PGA 2000. The version I am installing is the Collector's Edition. I noticed in the utilities download section at this site that there are two patches, 3.3.4.5 and Collector's Edition patch. Is the latter patch the Course Manager's fix? If not, should I be installing both? Thanks.
tincup
Legend of Golf

Post by tincup »

It has been my experience that all you need is the 3.3.4.5 patch.
Dar
SLouis62
Novice

Post by SLouis62 »

Tried to install the game but during the installation process a message indicating that I had to restart the computer came up a couple of times even though the installation process was not finished. On my 2nd installation attempt, I ignored these messages which then disappeared on their own. I did the recommended installation. When I tried to play the game, a message came up about the course could not be found or something like that. Would I have to do a full installation to avoid having to insert one of the course disks each time. Also when I applied the patch I extracted it to the PGA folder. I looked in that folder and there was a icon that looked like a desktop computer called PGCE which I double clicked on. It asks if you want to run it to fix PGA and I clicked ok, but then nothing happens. I thought it would go through a process similar to the installation. Anyway, my system is a Pentium Dual Core, using XP, and a monitor with a resolution of 1680 X 1050. Any help would be appreciated.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

SLouis62! A full install must be used to avoid using the disk. The patch should be ok. It never does anything like most other patches. It may say its not completely installed if you x out after awhile.