Bethpage Black

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Bethpage Black

Post by Polslad »

Jeezzz................this course is hard.
Playing my US Open there this season, got to -3 after 6 holes, thought it's not as tough as I remember, then clung on for a level par 70.
Second round ate me up, -2 after 4, finished +9 at 79.
Hit to 5 feet on a par 3, then had a 7 foot return put, then an 18 foot bogey put. Double bogey from 5 feet.
Te course is long, rough is brutal, and the greens are like concrete, won't except anything other than a soft fade.
There are no soft holes to make a few shots up, everything is hard.
Great rendition.
Is there a harder course out there?
Used to think Minnesota GC was hard, not played it for a while, need to go have a look.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Re: Bethpage Black

Post by SteveHorn »

David! Bethpage black is one course where learning how to hit a high flop with any wood out of the fairway REALLY HELPED. Since the flop at that distance is almost a slice you must be able to drive the ball to the right half of the fairway and aim way left unless you have no tree's to worry about. It is still a risky shot because its hard to figure out or trust just how far the ball will go or how hard to the right (if right handed) but it's the only reason on two occasions I was able to shoot 62. Didn't do much the other 3 rounds either time though. Did finish top ten. My normal thought is a 2 driver flop will go about 215 yards with about 34 clicks right fade. Three wood about 200 yards and 30 clicks, four wood 182 yards and 27 clicks. BUT NOT CONSISTENTLY. For some reason long irons seem to fade a little more. A 3 Iron will go about 145 yards but about 44 clicks to the right.