Welcome WGC 2011 Players and Designers

Any CPG/WGC series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Welcome WGC 2011 Players and Designers

Post by BrianZ111 »

Now that this section of the forum is up, WGC players and designers please feel free to join in. We have a nice community of hard core sim golf fans here. My hope is that the combined community will generate more interest and discussion for both games and for golf simulations in general.
DC#1
Tour Contender

Re: Welcome WGC 2011 Players and Designers

Post by DC#1 »

http://www.gamingoutsiders.com/index.ph ... erview-r24. I found this when looking for the game. Brian, have you heard anything about this?
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Yes there is going to be a new version of the game sometime later this year. The details are still pretty vague but I know they are trying to really improve the graphics a lot. That interview is actually from last summer or fall I think.
Kelson
Weekend Duffer

Post by Kelson »

DC#1 wrote:http://www.gamingoutsiders.com/index.ph ... erview-r24. I found this when looking for the game. Brian, have you heard anything about this?
This is an interview I did with Dean Baker late in July of 2011 for my old 24-HR Network site. I posted it at Gaming Outsiders (I am the web developer there) just so the information would give the game some more exposure.

Unfortunately, less than two weeks after I did this interview, both Dean Baker and Red Chain Games Ltd. were sued by Augusta National. I'm surprised no one is really talking about this. I few days ago I sent an email to Dean Baker as a follow-up to my interview with him. He has not responded.

You can read my write-up of the lawsuit at the link below, which explains some of the particulars of the lawsuit. You can also Google and get a PDF of the actual lawsuit. However, I was unable to find what the ruling (if any) of the lawsuit was. At any rate, I didn't look, but I would strongly suggest NOT hosting Augusta National on this site! (I know I am not going to on my site once we get the downloads area up).

Here's my write-up of the lawsuit: http://www.defunctonline.com/index.html ... s-ltd-r279
DC#1
Tour Contender

Post by DC#1 »

Thanks for that information Kelson. I will be waiting to hear the results. I have follow the development of CPG for quite some time. I liked the things I read in your Q&A interview. We'll just have to see if they still produce a new version.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Hi Kelson, thanks for coming over and posting. I play the game on Friday nights with a group of course designers and some of them have contact with Dean and Red Chain. I can say I know through them that the new game is still under development but I don't have any details and even if I did they probably wouldn't want me to say anything more as when I beta tested previous versions they had me under NDA.

As far as the Augusta issue is concerned, I totally understand why you don't want to take the chance but I plan to host the course until Augusta formally contacts me. If that does happen I'll consider my options from there. I believe the lawsuit only comes into play because Red Chain may have used the availability of the course to try to sell their game and the simulator software. The fact of the matter is this is a user created course just like any other real course rendition on this site. If user created real golf courses can't be created and distributed when it is not intended for profit by the creator, and the website is also not profiting off it, then a lot of courses on this site are illegal on both the WGC and PGA side of things including two versions of Augusta for PGA 2000. I don't know what the law says but I'm willing to stand up for what I believe in and I believe this is wrong. As far as I'm concerned golf simulations would pretty much be dead if this were true.
Polslad
Legend of Golf

Post by Polslad »

Am I going to jail?
ADC
Tour Contender

Post by ADC »

God bless those wonderfully, purposefully vague Fair Use laws. Our copyright writers were geniuses.

Umm...is this game still available for free from anywhere? If not, how much to get the latest version?
"It is all good and well to punish a bad shot, but the right to eternal punishment should be reserved for a higher tribunal than a Green Committee." Bernard Darwin on Pine Valley Golf Club.
Kelson
Weekend Duffer

Post by Kelson »

ADC wrote:Umm...is this game still available for free from anywhere? If not, how much to get the latest version?
I don't know the answer to this, and I was wondering this myself. This is one of the questions I asked Dean in my email to him. If no one is able to answer this, I will make sure to post the answer here if/when Dean responds.
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Post by BrianZ111 »

Polslad wrote:Am I going to jail?
No I highly doubt it. Like I said it sounds like the lawsuit is only because Red Chain may have used the availability of the WGC course to try to sell their products. I never saw them do this with WGC 2011 but they also sell the game engine to simulator companies to be used with those simulators where you actually swing a golf club. I have no idea how they were marketing it to them.

As for getting the game I know when they first stopped selling it someone asked about it and they were told to e-mail Dean so you might try e-mailing him directly yourself at dean@redchaingames.com.