Any CPG/WGC series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
jcgator
Range Rookie

Post by jcgator »

Hi everyone, just discovered this site today. I used to play all the old Nicklaus games and remember several of the names I see here on the Golden Bear forums. Just a couple questions, if I might:

Before I download and activate, does WGC install and run ok on Windows 10? I have a top-notch system. (i7, 32MB Ram, etc), so performance shouldn't be an issue.

Are the controls, graphics and results similar or better to the last Nicklaus game? In other words, 3-mouse click, not too easy to break 60, realistic bounces, lies/angles, etc.

I notice not much activity here in last year or two, have you all moved on to newer products like Perfect Golf or The Golf Club 2? If so, do you recommend either of those above the other?

Thanks for your time and consideration - JC
BrianZ111
Legend of Golf

Re: Newbie

Post by BrianZ111 »

Hi JC, sorry for the slow response. As you observed with the slowness around here, I haven't been checking my own forum as often lately.

Yes, WGC will run on Windows 10. I don't personally run it on Windows 10 but I know several of the other designers of courses run it on Windows 10. If you want an activation code let me know and I'll PM you one.

The graphics are 3D in WGC so I guess it depends on how you feel about that. Some people feel 3D isn't far enough along to look as good as the older 2D games like JN/Links/PGA2000. The 3D graphics in WGC are starting to look a little outdated as compared to the newer 3D games such as Perfect Golf and The Golf Club 2 but I wouldn't say it's horrible. You can seem some screenshots of courses on the WGC2011 courses page of this site.

I can't speak to 3-click as I never used it in this game. It may be good or bad, I honestly don't know as the last game I ever clicked in was JN. I can tell you that the mouse swing is not easy to break 60, in fact nobody as even done it. To my knowledge the best score on a full regulation course was a 60. It is heavily feel based as far as any partial shots like putts, chips, pitches, and partial full swings making that aspect very challenging and much like real golf. Physics such as bounces, lies and angles are also very realistic.

Like you said there is hardly any activity here anymore unfortunately. If you are a clicker Perfect Golf might be worth checking out. I've heard they put a lot of work into the clicking system of that game. The downside of that game for me is the mouse swing has absolutely no feel due to the tempo system they implemented in it. The Golf Club 2 mouse swing also has tempo although they at least disable it in putting. I'm not sure if The Golf Club 2 has clicking, you'd have to look into that. One thing I really dislike about The Golf Club 2 is the course designer does not have a way to import elevation data. That means most of the real courses are not done to a super accurate level like you see in WGC or Perfect Golf.

I personally think WGC is still the best game but you probably don't share how much value I put on the quality of the mouse swing. WGC is free now though so you can give it a try without losing anything.
jcgator
Range Rookie

Re: Newbie

Post by jcgator »

Thanks for the reply, Brian - no worries about the late response.

I tried WGC and had some issues with the swing meter. I ended up getting Perfect Golf and like it pretty well, although a couple things could be improved,(like chipping and pitching). I have trouble with the mouse swing and just feel more comfortable with the 3-click meter. I understand Perfect Golf 2 is in the works so maybe that will be an improvement if it ever sees the light of day.

Thanks again for the info and comments.